PDA

View Full Version : How loose out of the blinds for NL play

DBowling
09-19-2004, 04:17 PM
I guess this is specifically refering to party 25/50 and live 100.Im trying to figure out how loose i should be playing out of the sb and bb.
If its only 1/2 (pp) or 1/3 (live games) of a bet for me to complete, when should i complete? To be honest, ive been completing almost anything if theres a lot of limpers and only folding the worst of junk if it will be 3 or 4 way action. According to poker tracker, that gives me 65% vol. put $ in pot from the small blind. Now that i reflect on this, i realize im playing junk out of position. Any recommendations?
As for the big blind, i seem to call a lot more min raises because i only have to put in half as much as everyone else, and i feel like im getting pot odds to justify it. I dont play as loose in this situation as i do out of the small blind though.
Thanks for your help.

bunky9590
09-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Fold your blinds to raises both legitimate and steal raises, a lot. Not worth defending out of position with margainal hands.

When I'm in the blinds and call raises, my opponents get worried if they've played with me before. They know I have solid values from the blinds.

cagedman
09-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I play very aggressively preflop in LP (I also play the 6max) and usually gain a gambler's image. For this reason, I complete the SB with anything that can flop big.. Axs, Kxs, Qxs, connectors and suited one gappers, etc. I do this because when I flop two pair or a strong draw I can usually stack someone in love with TPTK that I've been stealing on all night. I fold almost anything to a raise, unless its a minraise which I'll call with suited connectors sometimes if I've got a gut feeling that the guy is really steaming.

If you play very tight ABC and/or can't get away from top pair, you should play tigher from the SB. If you complete a lot of SBs you've got to be ready to lay down a lot of TPNK, etc. Your 'gut feelings' about the potential of TPNK, etc. on a ragged flop will get you in trouble out of position; often winning small pots and loosing big ones.

DBowling
09-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Well i guess i should include my post flop play for my junk. Yes, pretty much im looking to flop big or dump it. I dont play TPNK unless its checked around where the button makes a weak bet that seems like a steal. Im looking for two pair or better. Basically im looking to win a few small pots, win a very few large pots, and not win many medium pots. Here's a hand from last night
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 ($24.50)
MP2 ($71.75)
MP3 ($25.20)
<font color="C00000">CO ($35.35)</font>
Button ($33.30)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($106.10)</font>
BB ($59.55)
UTG ($61.70)
UTG+1 ($24.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls $3.

Turn: ($9) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, CO calls $9.

River: ($27) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, CO calls $15.

Final Pot: $57

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO has Tc 4s (two pair, tens and sixes).
Hero has Jd 6c (three of a kind, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins $57. </font>

I would have been very happy to just take the pot down on the flop. Ill lead out, and if i got massively reraised, i may worry about my kicker. But he just came along for the ride. No real draws to be picked up on the turn, so i just led out. I figured him for maybe 65, 67, 68. I didnt want to scare him off on the river, though i think he would have called had i pushed him all in

cagedman
09-19-2004, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, pretty much im looking to flop big or dump it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also want to make sure you ask yourself if you'll get PAID big if you flop big based on table conditions, your table image, etc.