PDA

View Full Version : Two Overcard Hands (AKo, AQo)

PaultheS
09-19-2004, 04:15 PM
These are two similar hands where I chose different lines. I had position in both, and took the aggression preflop both times. Both are heads up. The only difference is on the first hand my opponent had raised UTG preflop, for what it's worth. My question is regarding turn/river play. Assuming no help, you have two possibilities...

1) Bet the turn. If you get check-raised, fold, or if you get called, bet again on the river? What if you're called and bet into on the river?

2) Check behind the turn. After doing that, should you call a river bet?

These questions are more general, and if you'd like to comment on the hands I post specifically, feel free to do that also.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (5.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds.

BottlesOf
09-19-2004, 05:56 PM
I think hand 1 is fine. It really depends on the opponent.

I'll fire another one on the turn in hand one, if I think there's a decent shot of him folding, or it's unlikely he has a pair he'll call down with.

On hand 2, I'd recommend checking against ooponents who may c/r you. Getting c/rd here sucks, as you have 4 outs to broadway. No reason to bet this river, unless he's the king of such laydowns.

sthief09
09-19-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played both hands fine. It really depends on the opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he played them both terribly. in the first hand, UTG has done nothing to show that he can beat the nut no pair. he raised preflop, but that doesn't mean he has a hand. he could have a worse A-high. he should either bet the turn and check the river, or, since he chose to check the turn, definitely call the river.

hand 2, betting the river is terrible. better hands call and worse hands fold

BottlesOf
09-19-2004, 06:16 PM
I thought Broadway came through on hand 2. My mistake. Clearly don't bet the river in hand 2.

As for hand 1, I'm usually reluctant to be critical of heads up overcards hands on these boards, as I believe these decisions are very opponent/feel dependant. However, I believe betting the turn and checking behind the river unimproved to be perfectly viable. It's what I do more often than not. I just don't fault him for checking the turn. Perhaps I should.

PaultheS
09-19-2004, 06:54 PM
So on both hands, you say to bet the turn and check behind the river?

sthief09
09-19-2004, 07:12 PM
yeah, but that's just me personally

brick
09-19-2004, 09:56 PM
I agreee. Bet turn. Check river.

The main reason is that you're heads-up.

Nate tha' Great
09-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Hand 1 is awful. If you check behind on the turn, it should be with the intention of calling a river bet; you cannot attempt to induce a bluff and then fold when he bets!

Most of the time I would bet the turn and take the free showdown. Occasionally I might bet the river too when the flush card comes if your opponent is weak-tight or does not read hands well (e.g. the flush card is unlikely to have helped you but your opponent might not realize this).