PDA

View Full Version : Marginal hand with short stack

reecelights
09-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Party 10/1 PL Hold 'em

I almost pushed here but held back because the all-in player was tight and passive and his push worried me. MP limper is loose, never raises preflop, and then very agressive after the flop. This may be one of those hands I question because it turns out I would have hit a straight.

Total number of players : 7
Seat 1: fhouse (2160)
Seat 2: kbohnr (1010)
Seat 3: BigMamou (915)
Seat 4: marsha13 (1425)
Seat 5: johncorn (1765)
Seat 6: dirac (320)
Seat 10: reecelights (405)
dirac posts small blind (50)
reecelights posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to reecelights [ Jc, Qd ]
fhouse folds.
kbohnr folds.
BigMamou calls (100)
marsha13 folds.
johncorn folds.
dirac raises (270) to 320
dirac is all-In.

RobGW
09-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Yikes, you are in bad shape. With only $300 left and the SB coming up I would make the crying call here and hope for the best. If you win here you are back in the game. If you fold here you will have to hope for a better hand and hope that it will hold up and even then double up with $250 only gets you to $500. You will need to double up several times. If you double up now you'll be at $800. Usually it is better to be the raiser than the caller, but in this case I think you are just too desperate. Is there anything you could have done sooner to not let it get to this point? If you are in this position often, that could be a big problem.

reecelights
09-19-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm actually not in this position too ofeten. I had been getting pretty bad cards and was playing very tight. I was up around 1100 and had been sucked out by the chip leader to put me down to 555. I had been through an orbit of blinds trying to stay patient, but I also felt this might have been a time to try to gamble, the QJo was the best hand I'd seen in a while.

I guess the bigger question is: when you get down to about 5xBB, do you have to pick any two? Had the tight player not pushed here, I probably would have.