PDA

View Full Version : Would you call here?

tallstack
09-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Party Poker $30+$3 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed)

Hero (t695)
CO (t870)
Button (t1055)
SB (t1910)
BB (t1840)
UTG (t860)
MP1 (t770)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t1840 (All-In)</font>, Hero ?

I have no big read on this player. He seemed a little loose, and the only hand that stood out was when he slowplayed KK from the sb earlier when it was folded around to him.

Dave S

durron597
09-19-2004, 02:07 AM
I would call, mostly because of the blind structure of party. You will have 5 BBs very soon if you fold. But I wouldn't be happy about it.

emp1346
09-19-2004, 02:27 AM
in my opinion, it all depends on whether or not you're willing to race a small-medium pair, leaving you either doubled up real nice like or wondering why you called in the first place...

reecelights
09-19-2004, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't be crazy about it, but i would call here. It kind of sounds like you're getting bullied by the all-in. I might give him credit for a mid pair or AK, but he may only have AJ or worse since no-one else is in the hand.

ddubois
09-19-2004, 02:42 AM
It's 545 back to you with 870 in the pot. If your opponent will make this play with the top 10% of hands (http://home.earthlink.net/~craighowald/data/matchup2.html) you are only a 1:1.1 dog, so I think you are obliged to call in that case. If you think they would only make that play with Top5%, then you can fold. I guess pushing might have evoked a fold and avoided a race if BB has 55-88, but I have a feeling you're going to tell us BB had AA-QQ or AK.

patrick dicaprio
09-19-2004, 10:56 AM
i dont see why you would call here, i dont think i would have raised preflop with your stack but that in and of itself is marginal. but calling an all in raiser when you have AQ is wrong here absent a good reason. It is one thing to be the pusher and another to be the pushee.

Pat

RobGW
09-19-2004, 11:01 AM
It depends on how good your short stack game is. If you think you can get back into the game, then you probably should fold. Normally, players will go all in with AK or a PP. Your are a dog to both. Unless the villian is a bully, then you can probably take the chance.

Hydro
09-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Fold.
Good chance he has a pocket pair though.

YOu shoulda limped in and not raise with AQo from that position in the first place, you are betting a huge amount of your chips on a weal hand (AQo Is weak).

Fold it and play tight.

I won so many tournyments on part while having less then 500 chips, its nothing too worry about it.

ddubois
09-19-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YOu shoulda limped in

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems wrong to me. I've always been told open-limping is awful any time you have a chance to pick up the blinds. Why give the blinds a free chance to bust you with 72 when the flop comes A72?

housenuts
09-19-2004, 05:18 PM
i would call unless you really felt like you were better than most of the other players at the table. if you call and win you are in a good spot for the rest of the sng, whereas if you fold you are gonna be in rough shape and will probably need some help. if you call and lose, well you're not much worse off than if you had folded and lost shortly thereafter.

tallstack
09-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied here.

I certainly don't like the situation I got myself into here. With about 14xbb, I opted for a standard raise. I didn't consider limping or folding beacuse I was in mid position with four left to act behind me and there was too much chance that my hand was the best to fold or limp here. I also didn't like limping because I have a better idea of where I stand post flop if I force out the trash. Obviously, getting reraised shows the down side of raising with AQ here. With a larger stack I would fold easily here, and with a smaller stack I would have gone all-in off the start. With this stack size, maybe there will always be some hard decisions when you are put all-in.

What does bug me about my pre-flop raise is - would I ever get rid of the hand, and if not, then why not go all-in from the start? My first instinct when I was reraised was to fold. I waited for a few seconds and then gradually talked myself into calling. I certainly would have folded this to a reraise and a cold call (or third raise). I just couldn't release it to a single reraise when I was getting about 1.6:1 on the call. I thought that I was taking the worst of it here, but that I may get shown, JJ, TT, 99 or even AQ enough to make the call. His earlier slowplay also made me think that he would possibly have called with AA or KK since he knew it would be heads-up at that point. I was most worried of seeing QQ or AK here.

In the end he showed me AJ (to my surprise) and I won unimproved. This is not to say that I think I made the right decision here.

Dave S