PDA

View Full Version : can Fossilman/Paul/Annie/Barry confirm WSOP/ESPN contract?

whiskeytown
09-18-2004, 09:43 PM
reading Paul's post on the reconstructed Tony D/Phil H. stuff sorta got me asking other folks around the place at the time what ESPN was asking of the players...even ones who weren't in the main event.

I heard some freaky [censored]....
[ QUOTE ]

"they basically asked us to sign our lives away - no interviews with anyone except ESPN for 10 years unless they gave us written permission"

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

"permission to come into our houses, our cars, our lives, if they saw fit - permission to interview our friends, spouses, relatives, if they saw fit"

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

"one thing that it said was that if they wanted us to go back later and reconstruct hands, "acting" like they were happening at that time, we would be obligated to do it, by law"

[/ QUOTE ]
and it was required to sign for playing, but apparently a few folks walked off to a seperate table to read it first, just read it, pretended to sign it, and walked off with it....LOL

this seems awful draconian....and it certainly isn't what some players have done - so I'd like some more confirmation.

but this would explaing ESPN's manufacturing of the hand...it was buried in legalese that they had the right to do it. - sorta of a shrink wrap EULA that you agree to when you open the package to read it....

goddamn corporate pimps

RB

King_Returns_21
09-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

whiskeytown
09-19-2004, 12:44 AM
actually, Ryan, I was gonna use Tupac at one time...

then I remembered that

a) his music sucked - hell, that ain't even music
b) he's a dead wuss
c) he got shot in the back cause his record company wanted him to have street cred... - and the Vegas PD gave such a rats ass about the lowlife the crime is still unsolved - in VEGAS - where cameras are EVERYWHERE

so no....I'll keep the one I got - where's yer old Adolf Hitler pic...and why aren't you as Ryan_21 anymore...banned?

RB

King_Returns_21
09-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

whiskeytown
09-19-2004, 01:17 AM
also suggest he's too dumb to duck...

think I'm gonna ask support to kick you off again...you take care now.

RB

Greg (FossilMan)
09-19-2004, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"they basically asked us to sign our lives away - no interviews with anyone except ESPN for 10 years unless they gave us written permission"

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true as far as I know.

[ QUOTE ]
"permission to come into our houses, our cars, our lives, if they saw fit - permission to interview our friends, spouses, relatives, if they saw fit"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think we gave them carte blanche to do these things, but we did give them permission to ASK our friends, etc. to be interviewed. I don't think they could've forced their way into my house with a court order, but I'd have let them come in anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
"one thing that it said was that if they wanted us to go back later and reconstruct hands, "acting" like they were happening at that time, we would be obligated to do it, by law"

[/ QUOTE ]
If so, nobody made that clear to me.

Basically, I don't have a copy of the contract, and admittedly did not read it word-for-word before signing it. However, I don't recall seeing anything blatantly ridiculous in the contract, and all of the things you specifically cite are ridiculous. I may have signed away my rights such that they could follow me around and I couldn't sue them for stalking, but that doesn't mean they had the right to enter the closed door of my house.

I suspect the specific things you're hearing are just BS. The contract is very one-sided, but the lawyers for Harrah's know that if you make it aggregiously one-sided, a court might find the entire contract void. They're too smart for that.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Fitz
09-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Where does attorney Raymer send the bill for the above consultation?

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good luck all,

Fitz

ThePimpulator
09-19-2004, 02:14 AM
Can't imagine Annie has bothered to stay here with some of the threads going on right now so its a good job Greg replied.

daryn
09-19-2004, 02:16 AM
greg is a 2+2er for life baby!

oh... i am drunk.

lolita16
09-19-2004, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure if the one that I signed before the super sat the day before was the same contract that the players signed before the actual event. I do not remember any specifics about allowing ESPN to enter your life/house/privacy without your permission. I scanned it though didn't read it in it's entirety.

My feeling was that the reality is that your privacy will not really be your own if you win a great deal of money in the event, but that you'll be rich enough to hire private security if needed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found one part of the contract amusing. The wording was something to the effect that you will comply with ESPN's rules regarding headphones. In asking about 10 members of the tournament staff, no one knew what these "rules" were.

My impression was more that the contract released ESPN from liability if they were to portray you in a light that you didn't approve of.

Regards-

whiskeytown
09-19-2004, 01:27 PM
what the hell do you know? - That's a legal contract - not anyone can read it...what, are you a friggen lawyer now too?

(checks notes .. Fossilman IS a lawyer - removes foot from mouth)

whoops....never mind... - guess some of that innuendo was false after all...glad I checked with some honchos b4 spewing ignorance - and yer more likely to be bugged then anyone on it...

thanks.
RB

-Syk-
09-20-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
actually, Ryan, I was gonna use Tupac at one time...

then I remembered that

a) his music sucked - hell, that ain't even music
b) he's a dead wuss
c) he got shot in the back cause his record company wanted him to have street cred... - and the Vegas PD gave such a rats ass about the lowlife the crime is still unsolved - in VEGAS - where cameras are EVERYWHERE

so no....I'll keep the one I got - where's yer old Adolf Hitler pic...and why aren't you as Ryan_21 anymore...banned?

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

2 out of 3 aint bad.

JasonDB
09-20-2004, 12:30 PM
It seems to me that as much as people are concerned about how they are portrayed, there is a flip side. The new "bad boy" image is enough to make the players high profile and will certainly add to their marketability, invites, etc.