PDA

View Full Version : Compare 5/10 Full Empire/Party to 3/6 Full and Below Empire/Party

RED_RAIN
09-18-2004, 08:25 PM
I guess ideally I'm looking for those players who have gone from .5/1 at Empire/Party to 5/10 and have played each level at the full tables.

I was discussing in another thread about 5/10 Full and how it's is known to be unusually tight and weird hands will cold call your raises preflop.

Something went off in my head. Hmmm, this sounds a lot like how 1/2 felt for me. I didn't really enjoy my time there but was able to figure out how to play this type of game and then get banked for 2/4.

I guess I'm trying to get banked for 15/30 full or 10/20 full (perhaps that will be another thread for me in the future).

Can some posters give some insight on how 5/10 Full goes and any comparison to lower levels (I currently 4 table 3/6)? Is this level worth playing? What should I do after 3/6? Some have told me to move to pacific 5/10. I do like Empire though cause of deals etc.

Thanks ahead of time.

pokerkai
09-18-2004, 09:17 PM
I have played at Party / Empire all the way up from .50/1 to 5/10 where I currently play while taking stabs at 10/20.

I think most people on these forums will agree that that 5/10 games during off peak hours are atrocious. They are very tight and not really worth playing IMO. They loosen up nicely during peak hours. Because of this, I still play 3/6 whenever I want to play at off peak hours.

Even during peak hours, you have to be more active in your game selection and your players. Youll find yourself getting up from tables often at 5/10.

I think because of the general tight play of the 5/10 crowd, a slightly tighter strategy is required as opposed to your usual 3/6 games. (i.e. folding KJs UTG, folding 22 in MP with only one limper ahead of you)

I dont think you should be skipping this level either to reach the promised land of 15/30 (...as juicy as those games look) Theres something to be learned from each level.

Honestly, the only way to approach 5/10 is just to take stabs at it during peak hours if your a 3/6 player making the move up. Just set aside a couple 3-4 hundred and youll have your own opinons in no time.

bicyclekick
09-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Don't listen to his KJs stuff. This is a prime game where you should be raising it.

sthief09
09-18-2004, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't listen to his KJs stuff. This is a prime game where you should be raising it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i agree, you can probably do just about the same stuff at 5/10 as 3/6. i just had a cup of coffee there but i think thats still true

thirddan
09-18-2004, 09:54 PM
i don't know about the party 5/10, but the pacific 5/10 is pretty soft, very similar to there 3/6...I haven't played many hands at the Pacific 5/10 cuz i don't really have the BR for it at Pacific, but i have taken shots and was not impressed or intimidated by the other players at all...

Elektrik
09-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Being someone who just made the move from 3/6 to 5/10 (and who ironically, is dropping back to 3/6 due to some outside factors on my bankroll), I might be able to give a semi relavent opinion.

The 5/10 games are noticably tighter than 3/6, but not significantly so. I found that the tables had many more players that knew what they were doing (VPIP's below %25, PFR greater than 5, decent aggression). You'll have to be pickier about your games - there's just fewer fish in that sea.

Players (in my experience) tend to be more aggressive postflop as well as being able fold more than 3/6 - most (but definitely not all) seem to have some kind of thought going on when they play. I've been played back at a lot more and have seen many stop n go type actions and some pretty strange moves.

That said, if you're beating 3/6 at a good rate, you should be a winner in 5/10, although less of one. Have you looked into the shorthanded games? I spent a little bit of time in there with good results, and some of the players were very bad (probably because the next lowest shorthanded limit is 1/2) - I've heard it's an easier game than 5/10 full, but I don't have the personal experience to back this claim up.

Hope that helps, and others please chip in if you've experienced differently.

Mike

RED_RAIN
09-19-2004, 05:12 AM
I don't know why but your reply kinda gets to me

I specifically said a certain limit for a certain site.

I very much know about pacific.

And very much don't care for more opinions on it.

I really wish people would read the title and post first before just posting stuff to get their numbers up or who knows why.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played many hands at the Pacific 5/10 cuz i don't really have the BR for it at Pacific

[/ QUOTE ]

Pointless

[ QUOTE ]
but i have taken shots and was not impressed or intimidated by the other players at all

[/ QUOTE ]

Means less now because of previous quote

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know about the party 5/10, but the pacific 5/10 is pretty soft, very similar to there 3/

[/ QUOTE ]

Now means nothing

Trix
09-19-2004, 06:00 AM
This is the kind of reply that encourages other posters to try and answer your questions....

And yeah, I only wrote this to get my postcount up..

turnipmonster
09-19-2004, 03:33 PM
FWIW, many many winning 15/30 players have made the comment you should really learn to play 6 max and get used to the aggression level there.

--turnipmonster

Kevin
09-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi Red,
I think we were at a 3/6 table together last night (if you use the same handle at Party).

I have about 73,000 hands 3/6 and 12,000 5/10. Sample size is still low for 5/10 but the preflop % for the table is about 29.5% vs 32.5% for 3/6. (It was 36% for 2/4).

The average pot size is 6.1bbs for 3.6 and 5.9bbs for 5/10. My game selection for 3/6 is to request first available with 9 and if the average pot is over $40, I will sit, otherwise decline. For 5/10, I will wait list for specific tables (assuming it is not waitlisted deep, otherwise it turns over and is usually pretty tough by the time I sit down). I am starting to see a lot of my 3/6 compadres in 5/10, so a lot of folks must have the same idea. A game can turn sour in a hurry. If I look down and see 5 straight pots under $30, I will click off my auto post blind button and if it doesn't turn around by the time it is around to me, I will get up and go. You will find a lot at the table with the same idea, so you will see massive sitouts at one time - and if you are not careful, you will auto post (if you do use that feature) into a 3 handed game.

With all that said, 12,000 hands in (3/6 is still the default game due to the ease of finding a good game), I am beating it better than 3/6. I don't know how the win rate will hold up long term, but with proper game selection it is a beatable game.

Good luck to you and take it easy on me next time I am at the table with you! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RED_RAIN
09-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks Kevin this was a lot of what I was looking for.