PDA

View Full Version : Caro vs. Schoonmaker

arabie
09-18-2004, 06:34 PM
I've read Caro's new edition of the book of tells and found it very useful. I was wondering if anyone had read Schoonmaker's book and if it offered new and useful advice? How do the books compare for those who have read both, and would one recomend after reading Caro's book to move on to Schoonmaker's book. Thanks to those who read or reply..

Entity
09-18-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm only 1/4 the way through Schoonmaker's book so far, but it's been more helpful in analyzing my game -- why I do certain things, etc. -- as well as understanding what others' motivations are. Caro's was a fun read as an introduction to live games, but I think Schoonmaker's will help improve my overall game much more. I haven't read Caro's second edition, though.

Rob

skibum
09-20-2004, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't really compare the two, completely different. Caro's fine book is light reading, mostly on physical tells. The Psychology of Poker is a guide to understanding the manifestation of personality at the table, and how to exploit it. It includes insights into personal behaviors that may hinder our own game, and how others' may be exploiting us. Certainly a worthwhile read for shaping up and rounding out one's game.

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Caro will give you some information about tells that is useful and worth reading. Schoonmaker will help you understand your opponents and their play, and exploit it. Of the two, Schoonmaker will improve your play and winrate more.

Crix
09-20-2004, 12:26 PM
If you are interested in these titles, I would highly recommend 'Inside the Poker Mind' by John Feeney. After the usual list of strategy books, I found this to be the most helpful book I've read to improve my game.