PDA

View Full Version : Ryder Cup

M2d
09-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Yes, we're getting our butts kicked, and it's tough watching no-name euros stomping all over our superstars, but I can't help really enjoying watching this competition. It's refreshing seeing these gazillionairs actually caring about each and every shot and each and every hole. Match play is much more enjoyable to watch than stroke play anyway, but throw in patriotism and and you have a winning combo.
Now all we have to do is get Canada, Fiji and South Africa annexed and we might be competitive.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-18-2004, 05:34 PM
no-name euros

Huh? To anybody who follows golf, all but maybe 2 names on the euro side are well known.

daveymck
09-18-2004, 06:33 PM
I posted this in a thread on the sports betting bit but I will repeat it. Well done the crowd though when the young lad had his put to win the match you could hear a pin drop. I think its a master stroke pairing him with Sergio who is popular in America and was never going to be heckled by a US crown, had they paired him with Monty then who knows.

Can I just add, now the end of day 2, GO EUROPE!!!!!!!!

What has been apparent the last 3 ryder cups is that whilst the US players are better on any matchup player for player that for whatever reason in the team element of the the first two days the european players can put everything aside and come together and player good solid team game.

The US players as a whole dont seem to be able too which is surprising cos as Europeans we hate each other.

I expect on the singles the US to fight back and maybe even win it.

Rushmore
09-19-2004, 02:10 PM
It's 2PM Sunday.

If you're watching football right now, you're missing something much, much better.

It actually looks like the US might crawl and scrape back into this thing.

We seem to have just reached the point where people are starting to believe it, and the intensity seems to be amping up a bit.

I love golf.

Jimbo
09-19-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're watching football right now, you're missing something much, much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right!

[ QUOTE ]
I love golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidently! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimbo

M2d
09-19-2004, 02:44 PM
ok, ok. lesser known euros. I do follow golf, and I do know the euro players, but I'm assuming that the average person watching at home wouldn't know Levet, Monty, Howell, et al, but they would probably know Phil and Tiger.

Rushmore
09-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah, since posting, I'm loving it less and less.

They're falling apart.

Who's winning the Colts/Titans game?

Rushmore
09-19-2004, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, ok. lesser known euros. I do follow golf, and I do know the euro players, but I'm assuming that the average person watching at home wouldn't know Levet, Monty, Howell, et al, but they would probably know Phil and Tiger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, the "average person watching at home" really ought to at least know who the hell Colin Montgomerie is.

Otherwise, they ought to be watching Ernest Aingley, who just happens to be on the very next channel here in Tampa.

Maybe they have heard of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and not just the local biggies like J.C..

Man, I certainly get a little off-track sometimes.

Bez
09-19-2004, 04:08 PM
I think the Ryder Cup's more enjoyable to watch as you get to support a team you want to win. Watching one of the majors you may prefer a certain player to win but you're not that bothered if he doesn't. Go Europe!

nicky g
09-19-2004, 04:27 PM
"Watching one of the majors you may prefer a certain player to win but you're not that bothered if he doesn't. "

Psht. That's what betting's for.

arx
09-20-2004, 03:50 AM
Isnīt it funny that the Ryder Cup creates a "european conscience"...I mean, come on, most people do not even believe that at a political-theorical level.

Anyway, enjoyed it deeply and made some $$ in the process. Being the only european in the group has its advantages (sometimes!)

Martin Aigner
09-20-2004, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The US players as a whole dont seem to be able too which is surprising cos as Europeans we hate each other

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we hate the americans even more? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Martin Aigner

HDPM
09-20-2004, 08:32 AM
The competition is pretty much players who play primarily the PGA Tour vs. those who play primarily the European Tour. Sergio and others cross over more than players in the past, but there is still a distinct difference between the tours. That may explain part of it.

Also, and it only partially explains this year, Sutton was a miserable captain. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif