PDA

View Full Version : How badly did I play trip aces?

CatfishKing
09-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi, I've been hanging around at the 2+2 forums for some time now and this is my first post.

This is still very early in a PP 20 dollar MTT:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

Button (t420)
SB (t955)
Hero (t975)
UTG (t1475)
UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> (t800)
UTG+2 (t935)
MP1 (t1510)
MP2 (t900)
MP3 (t1135)
CO (t895)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> calls t15, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t90) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Villain bets t15</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, SB folds, Hero calls t15.

The reason I checked the flop was because I was first to act, and because so many players limped, I could have been easily outkicked. But I think my first mistake was not check raise when it came back to me with a min-bet.

Turn: (t150) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Villain bets t15</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t15, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, Villain calls t75, MP2 folds.

I'm not sure why I check-raised on the 3rd club.

River: (t345) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="CC3333">Villain raises to t680 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1175

Worst card in the deck fell for me but I felt I had to bet to force a small flush to fold.

Any comments on how I should have played the hand would be appreciated.

PokerGoblin
09-19-2004, 02:59 PM
General rule on slowplaying: Only give a free card when your hand is so strong that they cannot improve enough to beat you.

That's from Sklansky. To put it another way, leave them just enough rope to hang themselves.

It's a tough situation, especially when it's early in the tourney and the blinds are small and there isn't much money in the pot.

I can't say you played too bad, you're right, a checkraise on the flop to about 200 TC or so would have probably won the pot for you, which you have to be satisfied w/ on a 2 suited flop. If you get called and the turn completes the flush draw, be ready to check/fold when he bets.

One thing to remember when you're considering laying down a big hand: If you fold you can still win the tournament.

Hope that helps.

PG