PDA

View Full Version : college football - internet radio

judgesmails
09-18-2004, 04:15 PM
I was hoping to listen to my WI Badgers' game on the internet today and the only outlet I found was a syndicate that charged $4.95 per month. Are all internet radio rights for college football distributed through this service? Or are there other outlets I have not found yet?

emp1346
09-18-2004, 06:48 PM
even if you can find other providers, you'll still probably have to pay...

i tried finding a radio webcast of my alma mater's season opener, but it was $9.95 as opposed to $29.95 PPV tv... and that as opposed to just going to the sports bar with my buddies, drinkin, and watchin it on the big screen...

MicroBob
09-18-2004, 07:36 PM
You probably won't be able to find it for free is my guess.

If there is a UW affiliate station that also web-casts (during the week when they are playing music or news or whatever) then there is a decent chance that UW would demand that this station would have to shut-down their web-cast signal during the games to prevent fans from finding away around the fee.

It's kind of a rip-off obviously....but there are so many out of town fans (and relatives and friends of players) willing to pay the cost that I suspect it is reasonably profitable for the schools to do it this way.

Anyway, you can try going to the UW athletics site and you should be able to find a listing of all of the UW radio-affiliate stations. If you want to find the web-site for all these stations and see if there's one of them where you can pick up the signal for free then go for it...but obviously that could take a lot of time....and you might not find any free-webcast out there anyway.