PDA

View Full Version : What level NL should I start at?

mblax10
09-18-2004, 12:42 PM
I have been playing micro limit ring games, NL S & G's and NL Multi's on Stars for a while and would like to start playing NL ring games.

I have had success at NL S & G's, cashing in 37% of $5, 43% of $10 with over 100 entries at each level. I have just recently started playing $20 which I have cashed in 2 of my first 6.

I have had moderate success in MTT cashing in 12% of my NL Tourneys, in over 100 $1-$10 events making a couple of final tables, but no big cash. I have done much better, with a very small sample size in $20 buy-ins where I have cashed in 3 of 6 with an 8th place finish.

I recently finished 3rd in a $10 PLHE multi. After cashing out a chunk of it, I now have over $600 in my stars account. I am currently playing .50-$1 limit, and plan to move up to $1-$2 next week. I understand some of the adjustments I must make from NL tournaments to NL ring games, but have no NL ring game expereince. What level of NL ring game would some of you reccomend I start at?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

AncientPC
09-18-2004, 01:08 PM
NL 25.

NL 10 is too much all in for my taste.

Sponger15SB
09-18-2004, 01:08 PM
try stars' .1/.25 cent blind game.

anything bigger than that and you don't really have the roll for it, as 15x the buy in is usually reccomended.

if all your experience is at NL, you should be fine making the switch to ring games.

SirArthur
09-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Start at NL 25, and you'll do fine.

I had about the same experience as you before I ventured into the NL ring games.

It took me about two days to adjust to ring play (I started at NL25 on PS), and NL ring is so profitable online right now, I've played maybe 5 SnG's in the past 6 months because it is just a waste of time, unless you are looking for a fun break.

bunky9590
09-18-2004, 03:46 PM
n/m

LokiV
09-18-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anything bigger than that and you don't really have the roll for it, as 15x the buy in is usually reccomended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? I thought it was much lower for NL.... 300 BB's would suffice. That would give you 6 max buy ins.

Justin A
09-18-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure? I thought it was much lower for NL.... 300 BB's would suffice. That would give you 6 max buy ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Six max buy-ins is way too short. You can get away with ten at small stakes, but you probably need at least 15-20 as you move up. Although not often, I have had six or seven buy-in downswings that would have left me broke if I didn't have a large enough bankroll.

Justin A

LokiV
09-18-2004, 07:03 PM
I think that indicates holes in the playing style. Everything I've ever read about NL describes it as having a lot less variance than limit and in my experience it's completely true.

Justin A
09-18-2004, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that indicates holes in the playing style. Everything I've ever read about NL describes it as having a lot less variance than limit and in my experience it's completely true.

[/ QUOTE ]

It indicates variance. Please stop responding with incorrect information that you've read somewhere. No limit may have less variance, but not to the tune of only six buy-ins.

Justin A

Daann
09-18-2004, 07:16 PM
You probably either haven't played enough NL or/and aren't aggressive enough if you haven't had a downswing which even approaches 6 buyins... 10 is the minimum.

LokiV
09-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah ok, have him take in 500-750 BB's to a lower variance game. Good deal. A higher BR can't hurt someone, but I still think you're overestimating in this situation.

And you might want to go look at the old 2+2's threads discussing this very same topic.