PDA

View Full Version : video card question from a computer newb. (a little O/T)

GoblinMason (Craig)
09-18-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm going to get a dual output video card so I can 8 table easier. Anyway, I'm probably going to get this video card (http://www.ictcompany.com/ver1/productinf_est.asp?idsr=791&Item=MG45MDVA16D) because I read that Matrox cards are great for dual monitors.

There is a sticker over the AGP slot (video is onboard atm) which says only use 1.5V AGP cards or there will be damage to the motherboard. Will this card work? Thanks for the help.

Yea, this is the internet gambling forum, but I'm going to be using this card for internet gabling so I think it's allowable /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Craig

Terry
09-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Yes, it will fit. http://www.tweakers.net/ext/f/12076/full.gif

I really think, though, that you will be disappointed by the performance of a 16MB video card; it will tend to be very slow and laggy with two tables (and nothing else) open. Modern cards have 128MB of memory.

Since you are playing 8 tables, I assume cost is not a major factor so I will suggest a couple of cards that will make you feel like you did an upgrade, instead of making you feel like you wasted your money.

One of the most popular recent cards is the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384719568&skuId=5379798&type=pr oduct).

The one I just upgraded to (after doing a ton of research): BFG GeForce 6800 OC. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1083715895205&skuId=6727081&type=pr oduct)

Since your post title says "newb", let me add that when it comes to shopping for video cards, unless you know for certain that it is better, when a company adds letters to the name of the card it is usually a bad thing -- for example, the 9800SE is a step down, not a step up. I recommend the exact models I mentioned, not anything with any additional model numbers.

Insp. Clue!So?
09-18-2004, 03:44 PM
For $100 more, what in your opinion makes the Geforce card worth it?

Insp.

Terry
09-18-2004, 04:46 PM
The ATI 9800 is a 5th generation card, no longer cutting edge, but still a very good workhorse card viable for most people. The 6th generation ATI cards are all very high priced right now.

The GeForce 6800 is 6th generation and far outperforms the ATI 9800 for a modest price increase. Historically, the performance gain when upgrading to the next generation of video cards was only about 10% or so. This generation is different. Performance more than doubles. The BFG model is overclocked right out of the box, and has a lifetime warranty. Going for their 6800 Ultra model brings the price up to the level of cutting edge ATI cards.

I would say that only people who are very serious about frame rate sensitive FPS (first person shooter) games would need the power of the very top end cards. When it comes to bang for the buck, I couldn’t find anything that came close to the BFG 6800.

I don’t play FPS games, but in the games I do play (I’ve recently been on a Final Fantasy XI kick), the difference is dramatic since I upgraded from a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MBthat was squealing its’ death throes.

That’s the nutshell version of the results of my research for a good video card for a general purpose dual monitor computer with online poker as a major focus.

If I were setting up a specialized four (or more) large screen high resolution monitor set-up specifically designed for multi-table poker, I would research the high end Matrox QID cards that can handle four monitors.

BradleyT
09-18-2004, 05:20 PM
If you don't game you're retarded for paying $300 on a video card. A simple $40 TI-4200 off ebay will let you dual monitor and play any game out there today at reasonable rates.

If you do game I'd go with the 9800 Pro on a price/performance basis.

GoblinMason (Craig)
09-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get this on the cheap, and no I don't game at all besides poker. My video is currently onboard, and it handles 8 tables with no lagging on one monitor (although it's very annoying to play more than 4 on one monitor.)

The only "upgrade" I'm looking for is to be able to have a dual monitor setup. I'm perfectly happy with my video quality now.

Also, if it matters I'm running XP Pro. Thanks again for all the help.

-Craig

Neil Stevens
09-18-2004, 06:18 PM
What you might try, if you want dual screen on the cheap, is get a cheap PCI video card, stick it in alongside whatever you have now, and see if that works.

Blarg
09-18-2004, 06:26 PM
So would I. There are different types of 9800's, but they are far cheaper than the latest ATI or Nvidias, contrary to what the other poster says.

At any rate, you really need very little of a video card to run poker tables. I'm on a now ancient card, a 64 meg GeForce Ti500, and I can do four tables at once easy on my Pentium 1.7 cpu and a 44k modem. My stuff is like what the Flintstones used compared to today's products.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-18-2004, 06:31 PM
I run 3 monitors! waPOWN!

GoblinMason (Craig)
09-18-2004, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What you might try, if you want dual screen on the cheap, is get a cheap PCI video card, stick it in alongside whatever you have now, and see if that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this difficult to set up? I believe I read that XP handles multiple monitors relatively well. How good of either a dual monitor AGP card or an extra PCI card would I need? Any reccomendations?

My onboard card is an NForce (possibly 64MB?) and my processor is an Athlon XP 1700 both of which suit my needs fine at the moment w/the exception of not having dual mon. capabilities.

-Craig

Neil Stevens
09-18-2004, 06:44 PM
How good a card you need depends on what resolution and color depth you want to run at.

I don't know your software and can't advise on that, though.