PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read "Poker Nation"? Thoughts? (e) *NM*

03-02-2002, 10:36 PM

03-03-2002, 11:21 AM
I've read POKER NATION, and recommend it. Very funny. My only complaint is that I wish it were longer, so I had more of it to enjoy.

I think it compares very favorably to Holden's BIG DEAL and Alvarez's THE BIGGEST GAME IN TOWN.

03-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Tim,

I haven't read it but noticed it had a high profile advertisement devoted to it in this months's Atlantic Monthly. So the publisher seems to be behind it.

Regards,

Rick

03-11-2002, 02:55 AM
i read Poker Nation in two settings and although i did enjoy it (it's about poker isn't it???) it isn't in the same class as holden, alvarez, or either of konik's books about poker and gambling. i would put in more on par with shut up and deal or the movie rounders, good and entertaining, but unfortunately not great. the parts of the book on cheating suprised me greatly because i have never logged many hours in a deal your own game. if you are posting on this forum by all means go and get it because you obviously like poker and will get some great hours of enjoyment from reading it, but its best use may be to pass it on to a non poker playing friend who doesn't understand why you love this game so much. Poker Nation should do a good job of explaining it for you. enjoy--J.Brown