PDA

View Full Version : Is George Steinbrenner a Baseball HOF Candidate?

adios
09-18-2004, 04:02 AM
Listened to Dan Patrick's radio show today and he brought this subject up. Four owners are currently in the HOF. If memory serves me it's Veck, Yawkey, Griffeth, and Commisky. George has been the Yankees owner for 31 years and the Yankees have won 6 World Series in that time. Whether we like it or not the Yankees tradition has a big following and baseball's done very well over this period. I would think that major league players have a soft spot in their hearts for George. Don't know what the criteria should be for an owner to make it.

Big Bend
09-18-2004, 09:29 AM
I heard the show too and the whole time I was thinking why is this even under discussion... Of course George should get in the HOF. (And I hate the Yankees)

andyfox
09-18-2004, 12:45 PM
I think he will eventually make it. He's mellowed somewhat from his egregiously cantankerous days and he's been arguably the most influential owner of the last fifty years.

My guess is Torre makes it too; combination of his kind of almost HOF playing career, his early leadership in the player's union, and the four word championships and six pennants (thus far). Plus, unlike Steinbrenner, he seems to be well-liked.

BTW, I thought the commercial with Steinbrenner and Torre ("That's Torre, with two R's.") is very cute.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Of course George belongs in the HOF. Comiskey was a bigger bastard and Yawkey was an out-and-out racist. George brought the Yankees back from the brink of irrelevancy (as much as I'm a Red Sox fan, I can still appreciate that).

Toro
09-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Only if he promises not to wear the white turtleneck at the induction ceremonies!