PDA

View Full Version : '90+% of the information on this forum is incorrect' (SnGs)

Jman28
09-18-2004, 03:00 AM
What follows at the bottom of this was posted by J.A.Sucker in a recent thread about table selection in the SnG forum. I respect him greatly as a poster, but if he claims that 90% of what other posters here discuss about SnG's is wrong, I'm not sure who to believe...

Can anyone figure out this incredible, fool-proof strategy.

No desrespect whatsoever J.A. You've just intrigued me and I realize you don't want to share the secret. (or was this a joke I don't get?) I'd like to figure it out with the help of others if it exists.

Any ideas anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I will not share my secrets, due to the fact that the tournaments are so simple to master; even a small increase in good players will ruin this cash machine that I've got.

Some points that I will volunteer:

1. Most of my opponents think I am a moron. Some of these opponents are posters on this forum, no doubt.

2. 90+% of the information on this forum is incorrect with regard to the play of these events. The other 10% is not totally correct, either.

3. The swings in SNGs are incredibly SMALL. The smallest of any kind of poker I have ever played. I've failed to cash in over 15 events a few times, but I've also won 3 straight events a few times, so I've experienced the full gamut of behavior.

4. The proper strategy is not exploitable, even if they know what you are doing. However, if your opponents play like you do, you'll never win. This is more true in this type of game than any other, since they are so "granular" in nature.

I will not comment any further on this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

The4thFilm
09-18-2004, 03:12 AM
His biggest winning streak is 3?

jordanx
09-18-2004, 03:38 AM
I've seen guys successful with a 'wild image' (as Caro describes in Super System).

But I tend to agree with him that the sit N gos are trivial to beat and allow you to have a much more stable bankroll than a ring NL game.

I doubt 90% of the info is incorrect, I think this is most likely overstated (due to arrogance?). But I definitely don't agree with everything posted here, in the FAQ, and comments on hands.

SNG games aren't NL ring games, they aren't even multi-table tourneys, so strategies vary from playing in those games, I think a lot of the advice/comments here might serve better in a ring game, small stakes game or multi-table tourney w/ re-buys than a Sit N Go.

I don't think there is only one single way to beat SnGs consistently like he describes, I think there are a few ways.

Jman28
09-18-2004, 03:45 AM
I feel like it's a joke, but I still don't get it... JA? help me out man.

byronkincaid
09-18-2004, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Most of my opponents think I am a moron. Some of these opponents are posters on this forum, no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

So $200 players. Who are the morons? Based on the huge amount of $200s I have played (9) I would guess that JA plays something like Crazyskillz who completely confused this weak tight, way out of his league poster. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tosh
09-18-2004, 03:37 PM
There really is no magic formula that hasn't already been analysed. Maybe JA Sucker thinks he's found something and its been working over 500 SNGs or whatever (short term) period, or - more likely - he was just kidding. But the fact is there are too many areas of the games on Party that cannot be further exploited.

Irieguy
09-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Witholding strategic advice on this forum for fear of losing money and stating that 90+% of the information on this forum is incorrect would be congruent for 2 possible reasons:

1. A clever joke.
2. Somebody who fears losing money from those reading this forum could gain value by saying "I know how to play the right way, and reading this forum is a waste of your time."

It's the Jedi mind trick: "these are not the droids you're looking for..."

Irieguy

RavenJackson
09-18-2004, 04:32 PM
The evidence is strictly anecdotal; however, there are many posts about how this forum has positively influenced SnG results [mine included]. This seems to fly in the face of the statement that 90+% of the information on this forum is incorrect.

LinusKS
09-18-2004, 05:14 PM
90% is too high. There is wrong info, of course, just like anywhere else. It has occured to me that some of the advice does see to come from small-stakes cash games, which have a different dynamic, IMO. I don't know whether the variance is higher or lower than other games - I think it depends on what you compare it to. But in low buy-in short stack tournies the variance can be very high, IMO, because so often your results turn just one hand.

Saying, "I know a secret, but I won't tell you," is just silly.

If you don't want to talk about something, all you have to do is not talk about it.

Jman28
09-18-2004, 06:27 PM
The fact that he made it sound so simple to sum up SnG play led me to believe it was a joke. But it's definitely not an obvious one.

I still don't get it