PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hands on Paradise

02-25-2002, 11:40 PM
Last year I played on Paradise fairly regular between May through Sept. I would often defend Paradise in other poker forums regarding complaints. Mainly observed high proportion of monster hands, and collusion. I attributed the seemingly higher proportion of monster hands to the increased amount of hands dealt per hour. 70-80 hands at Paradise vs 35-40 at card rooms.

In August I then experience a unusual event. Quad 8888 dealt back to back to same guy! I was the unfortunate player to be involved in both hands. First lossing KKK88 and then a Flush against these monster hands. Of course I requested hand history and sent the history and demanded an explanation on Paradise's testing of complete randomness. Paradise had always promptly replied to any email I had previously sent. It took 3 days for a reply, this indicated to me they took my question seriously. The reply was very long. (Unfortunately my hard drive crashed shortly thereafter and all data lost, or I would reproduce the text of the email). The reply carefully listed testing and independant authorities that verified that the dealing program and randomness was absolutely the best in the business, and randomness exceeded real world card dealing. Although no explanation was given for the seemingly high proportion of monster hands, I felt that at least Paradise considered my question but was totally confident that randomness was not an issue.

I decided to not play online poker for awhile. In December, I gave Paradise a try. I made a small buy-in, and witnessed in the first 15 minutes of play 3 quads dealt. 2 to same guy but not back to back. In the first hour 4 sets of quads.

I have played Paradise in Jan. & Feb. but have not seen the monster hands appear as often or regular as previously.

What do you think?

Do you feel Paradise might have a problem with excessive or beyond probability monster hands be dealt?

What would account for so many people saying exactly the same thing, regarding frequency of monster hands?

02-25-2002, 11:41 PM
Sorry wrong forum...... host please move..

02-26-2002, 12:20 PM
I saw this in a live game at Bullwhackers in Colorado.

8 handed stud game. Woman wins with quad 4s

Next hand, same woman wins with quad 4s

20 minutes later (different dealer) same woman wins with quad 4s

Strange things do happen

DJ

02-26-2002, 12:53 PM
I got dealt back to back quad fours at Commerce last November. Shit happens.

02-26-2002, 07:30 PM
Yeah, tell me about it!

Had to bring up Quad 4's, huh? LOL

(Insider joke between Clarkmeister and me!) Details in my Vegas/LA Trip report in Other Topics.

02-27-2002, 05:44 AM
If strange things didn't happen, it would be very strage.

02-27-2002, 06:47 PM
Hi kid,

The people on the Internet Forum don't believe this, but when Paradise posted 25 Million boards on their website last year, several people, myself included, ran various tests on these to see how random they are. A guy named Bill did a better job than I did, but my results were pretty conclusive to me (and his, done later, were icing on the cake): The boards appear completely random. Look at the archives for all the data. And remember, it is 25 million hands!

Mark

02-27-2002, 09:12 PM

02-27-2002, 09:19 PM

03-03-2002, 07:34 AM
Is people with large pokerstat databases showing huge differences between whats delt, and whats expected. If there were they would be posting it.

Emm

03-03-2002, 07:38 AM

03-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Excellent comments....

I too agree that logically a totally random

dealing program, should produce expected results.

In addition witnessing events that might seem

strange or extreme will occur if the sampling is

large enough.

So again thanks for the various input....