PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

AdamL
09-17-2004, 10:26 PM
I find myself doing worse on Friday nights. Are there any adjustments that should be made when people are being very aggressive no matter what?

One thing that kills me on Friday night is missing with big hands. You have to pay off more and you can't bluff. Should I adopt a more tight strategy, where if I miss pairing something like AK I just become passive?

Another thing I've noticed is that people don't tell you if they have a good hand. I had middle pair and bet into two opponents from the BB on the flop. The flop was jack high and AJ just called me down.

TT & JJ -- just call a raise?

pstripling
09-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Welcome to the weekends, when all the fish come out to play. Your big hands will get cracked more often but the pots you win with them will be bigger. I tend to play a little tighter on the weekend. I raise-reraise with JJ. Depending on the situation I may fold/call/raise TT.

pokerkai
09-17-2004, 10:33 PM
I find myself doing worse on Friday nights. Are there any adjustments that should be made when people are being very aggressive no matter what?

I find the TGIF crowd more passive.

One thing that kills me on Friday night is missing with big hands. You have to pay off more and you can't bluff. Should I adopt a more tight strategy, where if I miss pairing something like AK I just become passive?

Post specific hands. Wide generalizations belong in the poker theory forum. Your not gonna get any meaningful feedback by asking these sort of questions. That said...
An AK is at least worth a flop bet if checked to almost all of the time to clean up outs and find out where you stand.

Another thing I've noticed is that people don't tell you if they have a good hand. I had middle pair and bet into two opponents from the BB on the flop. The flop was jack high and AJ just called me down.

Are you unhappy they didnt extract more out of you? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Wait till you walk into the uber passive played AA

TT & JJ -- just call a raise?

Congratulations on putting the bullseye on your forehead.

3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet
3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet 3bet

jrobb83
09-17-2004, 10:40 PM
You need to play much tighter preflop in an aggro lineup than you would in a more passive one. You can't play hands like middling suited connectors cause the implied odds they thrive on are destroyed by having to pay 2-3 bets both before and on the flop. Pocket pairs are still playable, though, since you know what you have on the flop, and against highly aggressive opponents you can gather a very large amounts of bets by hands that are drawing dead or very nearly so.

You have to 3-bet with your premium hands. You want to isolate the aggressive players capable of putting in many bets after the flop.

Plus, don't feel bad about getting passive after the flop with your good but not awesome hands like top or middle pair. If they are gonna bet the whole way with nothing, let them. Then you won't have to figure out whether they really meant that turn three-bet or not.

jrobb83
09-17-2004, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Depending on the situation I may fold/call/raise TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to 3-bet TT against these guys, have too. Not an option.

I'll sometimes go down as far as 77 to three bet if they've really been getting out of line.

AdamL
09-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Thanks guys

One more question, I forgot to ask this in the first post actually.

Do you 3-bet with AKo if it is bet and raised ahead of you?

Also, is betting, being raised and then 3-betting any different for JJ,TT, and AKo than having a bet and a raise already in front of you and 3-betting?

Thanks

Adam

pokerkai
09-18-2004, 01:32 AM
Do you 3-bet with AKo if it is bet and raised ahead of you?

Either your have to be more specific about the situation (preflop or postflop) or you are confused with the 3bet terminology.

Also, is betting, being raised and then 3-betting any different for JJ,TT, and AKo than having a bet and a raise already in front of you and 3-betting?

Once again...be specific! Are you talking preflop???
If so...if you raised and its been raised behind you...you arent 3betting by raising again, your capping. The raise behind you is the 3 bet. And yes I cap with AK, unless its a known tight player with a low preflop raise percentage.

If your talking postflop...well, your action is generally dictated by the flop, amount of players and potsize.

AdamL
09-18-2004, 01:43 AM
Yeah, sorry I'm confusing my terms.

This is all preflop I'm talking about. Your post answers my question about AKo.

Against a raise and a 3-bet in front of me, I generally call with AKo only if the players have loose preflop raising standards.

With JJ-TT if you have a raise and reraise in front of you, do you fold these generally? Are they cold-calls if you do play?

My only other question would be if you re-raised a raiser and it got 3-bet when you held AKo, TT-JJ. I'm not sure if it'd be better to call the 3-bet or cap.

pokerkai
09-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Against a raise and a 3-bet in front of me, I generally call with AKo only if the players have loose preflop raising standards.

If your playing at 3/6 or lower, capping should be the standard play.

With JJ-TT if you have a raise and reraise in front of you, do you fold these generally? Are they cold-calls if you do play?

So basically, your saying "What do I do with 10 10 and JJ if there is a raise and a 3 bet in front of me?"

QQ and up is an easy cap IMO, unless your dealing with an ultra rock.
Otherwise, I use the position of the raisers as a guideline.
If its a raise from UTG, and a reraise from UTG+1, Im much more inclined to just cold call...and possibly fold my 10 10 if these are players I respect.
If I have any reason to believe these players are raising loosely (i.e. known maniac, guy just trying to lose his last 6 bucks...etc) then Im capping without a thought with JJ. 10 10 I just call and hope to flop favorably.

My only other question would be if you re-raised a raiser and it got 3-bet when you held AKo, TT-JJ. I'm not sure if it'd be better to call the 3-bet or cap.

Your confusing your terms again. If you reraised a raiser, YOU DID THE 3 BETTING. And any raise behind you caps it, so your only option is to call (and no your not folding for one sb when your already 3sb invested).

AdamL
09-18-2004, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your confusing your terms again. If you reraised a raiser, YOU DID THE 3 BETTING. And any raise behind you caps it, so your only option is to call (and no your not folding for one sb when your already 3sb invested).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, I'm not even sure what the hell I was asking there. I think you answered all my questions but if it comes to me what on god's earth I was talking about I'll repost /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the help Pokerkai. /images/graemlins/wink.gif