PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket phenomena

Pirc Defense
09-17-2004, 09:36 PM
My wife and I are constantly finding that our favorite products at the supermarket are no longer available. For example, if we prefer a certain NoodleRoni flavor, chances are that particular flavor will be discontinued. We joke that they are listening to us, and we have to sneak around and not openly say which items we like. Or, we conspicuously say, "boy we hate this item" as we put it into our cart.

This has happened to us over and over and over. Does it happen to you?

Utah
09-17-2004, 10:56 PM
What supermarket? My company sells to grocery.

Grocery is under a lot of pressure these days and companies are eliminating products to go to a homogenious merchandise selection across all stores.

Pirc Defense
09-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Different stores. I'm in Texas, so Tom Thumb and Albertson's in Dallas, and HEB in San Antonio.

Are you saying they desire a homogenous merchandise selection in every store without regard to local demographics or demand?

I once asked why a certain Ben and Jerry's flavor all of a sudden disappeared and, I'm not kidding, the answer was that the particular flavor was too popular vis a vis the other flavors, and thus was causing production problems, so it was discontinued. Seems I have some things to learn about business.