PDA

View Full Version : I didn't bet the river...

jrobb83
09-17-2004, 07:16 PM
BB was a 2+2er, MP2 appeared to be pretty loose/bad, but no solid read.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.25 BB, between MP2 and Hero.</font>

emp1346
09-17-2004, 07:28 PM
hmm...

I think I would have done the same thing as you. The reason for this is not necessarily because there are definate hands that can beat you, though that is considered.

The primary reason is that, as you stated, he's loose/bad... this is worse than the loose/aggressive players, as it can become relatively easy to stiff them...

Also, without a good read on someone who's loose/bad, I don't think a river bet would have had any real EV. I agree with the check.

ThePimpulator
09-17-2004, 07:29 PM
I think thats OK. Assuming he does actually have a peice of the flop, only if he was betting into you with bottom pair are you still good. Unless he was betting a draw, but then none came in so he wont call anyway. Of course morons at 2-4 will bet into you after your PFR for inexplicable reasons with alarming frequency. What goes through their minds I honestly do not know. But I cant see that checking the river is losing any/much.

Evan
09-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Neither would I. What made you think you should have other than the fact that you won the hand?

jrobb83
09-17-2004, 07:36 PM
I don't think checking was terrible, but I usually would have bet the river if my read was just a tiny bit better. I've been called here by things like K high so many times that I don't think that betting is bad either.

I wanted to gauge the extent to which 2+2ers thought my play here was correct. (I think most of them would think it was correct.)

ThePimpulator
09-17-2004, 07:42 PM
True, people do call with things like that an amazing number of times. I would really love to know what is going through their mind there because even if you have not caught the flop youve got them beat with AK/AQ/AJ. Stunning.