PDA

View Full Version : First session on party $25 6 max, please critique this hand

Vannek
09-17-2004, 06:49 PM
I dont remember the hand exactly but I was delt 97o on the BB I have $35, villain is the table chip leader with about $90+, three to the flop cames K T 7, villain min bets most every flop, this time he checked and it got checked around, turn is a 9, I check hoping he would bet, he bets around $3, I raise $7 he raises $22 or so, damn, I call, he puts me all in on the river, I call, KT, could I have gotten away from this hand?I beginning to believe that two pair follows a bit of the rule `win small loses big`, laydown?

The4thFilm
09-17-2004, 08:06 PM
When an aggressive player all of a sudden checks that should send off red flags that he has something monster.

Burno
09-17-2004, 08:07 PM
If the big stack is even semi-competent, fold to the turn re-raise. Bottom two is a get broke hand when a sane player comes over the top of you.

wdbaker
09-17-2004, 08:49 PM
You need to think of your bets as probing instruments.

When he bet $3 then you came over the top with $7 (probe), then he re-raises 3X your raise, this just screams trips or something that is high yet maybe not quite the nuts.

You don't have to call his re-raise(repeat that 10 times, always take ten seconds before you react), but here is in essence what you did, you bet$7(read: probe- you stuck your hand in the dark cave and when you pulled it back out it was a bloody stump).

He has now re-raised about 3X your raise(So then you say, what the hell and run in the cave screaming like a madman and are eaten alive by pride of sabertooths?!?!?!)

No, you tie off your arm(fold), get to the emergency room, get refitted(rebuy) with a prosthetic arm and look for a new cave.

Hope that all made sense

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

muzungu
09-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Vannek- ok, so he 3-bet your checkraise. Time to look at the board and see what he has. Even only considering hands that got there on the turn, you are beat by QJ, K9, T9, J8, etc...

With a board that coordinated, you generally need a bigger hand to win, and bottom 2 pair is not gonna cut it. In fact, I probably just check-call the turn and river in the first place. Alternately, check-raising and folding to his reraise is also fine.

-muz

AncientPC
09-18-2004, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When an aggressive player all of a sudden checks that should send off red flags that he has something monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a big tell usually (I know because I do it a lot), or if you bet small and they fold then you know they really had crappy cards.