PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a complete minraising preflop moron

bunky9590
09-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Let me give you the details on the villain.
Played with him for in excess of 1.5 hours.
Game is 1-2 NL 200 max buy Full tilt poker.

Every single hand he played if limped to him he'd min raise to 4. I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME. 72o, AA, 95o, you name it.
I was on his immediate left (Worst position on the table, IMHO)
If it was pot raised to him preflop, he'd 90% fold.
If you showed him aggression on the flop, he'd fold if he whiffed, call if he caught any piece of the board, and was not afraid to put all the chips in on occasion. Total nitwit. If you reraised him after he min raised pf, he'd almost always fold. Sounds like fun being on his left huh?

You can't punish him with a reraise, because he'd fold. The whole table was getting hip to his crap a long time after I got hip to it and began to limp the rockcrushers right into him and attempt to trap me in the middle. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well, the maniac had to reload his stack twice for 75% fill ups. If he would min raise when we were in LP and everyone folded to him I would pot raise with not strong hands and take down more hands than not. If called, shut down unless I hit the flop hard.

The final hand where the maniac got done in for the final time. Maniac has at this point 70 bucks, I have 240.

Folded to the nitwit in LP and he (as always) minraises to 4. Bunky makes it 10 straight with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Folded back to nitwit that actually calls this time.

Flop ($23.00)
6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Check, check.

Turn J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Nitwit checks, Bunky bets 20, nitwit calls.

River 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
nitwit pushes all in for $51.00.
Bunky thinks and calls.

Nitwit flips over 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Thanks for stopping by.

How would you all handle a clown like this?

gomberg
09-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Bunky, I was in that game too. That was fun, wasn't it? I loved limp-reraising that guy. I also got trapped in the middle a couple times as well. For the most part, I just called with position about 1/2 the time, and raised once in a while to take the pot down immediately. The problem with raising him was that other players could be trapping, then you get pretty screwed, so you still had to be sort of selective if you weren't in late position or there were other limpers before you. Your spot was pretty tough, though. Being to that guy's right would have been amazing, and it seemed like the players sitting there did not take advantage of him at all.

Nice hand you got him on. I actually paid him off when he had 99 w/ an overpair and I had top pair overcard kicker - probably a bad call - still though, I must have taken a decent amount off him in units of $4. I ended up about $275 for the session.

bunky9590
09-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah it was sick and I tried to move but the game had a list and didn't want to risk missing out. If i was on his right I would have destroyed that game.

My position really sucked later on when you had to worry about everyone who limped.

I actually played a AA hand second hand low later on. 2 limpers in EP and our buddy minraised. I just called, got limp reraised and I came back over the top and he folded. Damn, maybe next time. They sure didn't see that one coming.
Glad you did well. I was 5 tabling last night for 3 hours and wound up a whopping 60 bucks.

Better than the 300 I was down earlier.

Say hi next time I see you. I'll be on tonight, but I'll be at the Borgata tomorrow night.

Later.

jmark
09-17-2004, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If i was on his right I would have destroyed that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you describe the advantage of being on his right in NL?

In limit isn't it better to be on his left, so that you can isolate him?

In NL though, I have to admit I have no clue to what the advantage of acting first is, unless it was to checkraise him on the flop?

gomberg
09-17-2004, 08:24 PM
If you are on someone's right who will raise if limped to 100% of the time, it is MUCH better in NL/PL to be on that player's right because you have the best position relative to the raiser. So essentially, you have the button every single hand!

Think about it, you will pretty much never raise your hand, because if the person on your right raises (it's even better if it's always a small raise), then the whole table has to act before you do in response to his raise. So you get to see how everybody acts in response to a small bet before it gets to you. Hence, imagine you have AA or KK or even AK, you can limp, he will min-raise, whoever limped a medium strength hand hoping to reraise and take it down may do so now. A lot of people will generally call, hence making a decent sized pot, then bam, you raise big and win a decent pot risk free when everyone folds. Also, you can limp in with a medium implied-odds type hand, then see if anyone has a real hand when the min-raiser raises through the field to you. Generally, you have the best position at the table every single hand - it's a great advantage.

Hope that helped. There's probably some other factors I'm not describing correctly or forgetting about.

jmark
09-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Ah that makes sense. Since the guy on your left will always min-raise, you can always limp-reraise.

Thanks

bunky9590
09-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Yeah but its not just about limp reraising preflop.
Its about playing multiway pots with the raiser on your left. In NL especially when the stack is on the line. Nearly always people will always check to the raiser whether because they are weak or because they checked a rockcrusher and are waiting to pounce. With you being on his right, you can check as well and see what the raiser does and what the people do behind him before you have to make your decision.

Now having the raiser in the SB when you are on the button is just gravy.

Position relative to the raiser is much more important in NL than table position is on a hand by hand basis.