PDA

View Full Version : Go

theBruiser500
09-17-2004, 05:01 PM
I became familiar with the board game Go a couple years ago and got excited because it looked very interesting, went out and bought a board. Then, I couldn't find anyone to play with, in fact no one has even heard of this game. Does this frustrate anyone else seeing as it's the most famous (right?) game in the world and it's extremely interesting and challenging?

namknils
09-17-2004, 05:02 PM
I've never heard of it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

theBruiser500
09-17-2004, 05:17 PM
That's because you're a retard. It's a great game.

Zeno
09-17-2004, 06:36 PM
I posted about this game a long time ago in another forum. Basic information link About GO (http://www.well.com/user/mmcadams/gointro.html)

Try this site to get going on finding playing partners American Go Association (http://www.usgo.org/index.asp)

I have never played the game, just read about it and found it interesting.

Good Luck with the game.

-Zeno

Martin Aigner
09-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Itīs a very interesting and challenging game. Iīm sure there are places on the web where you can play it online.

BTW, it that much complicated (not the rules, but the strategy) that unlike chess there hasnīt been yet a computer to beat the best humans.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

ThaSaltCracka
09-17-2004, 06:45 PM
go play it on Yahoo!

theBruiser500
09-17-2004, 07:23 PM
No, I'm trying to use my computer less. I want to play in person.

GuyOnTilt
09-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey Bruiser,

I have the same problem as you. I want to become a better Go player, but nobody I know has ever even heard of it before. It's a great game.

GoT

Bob Moss
09-17-2004, 07:51 PM
The way I see it, Go is a lot like Soccer. Which is why no one in the US has ever heard of it.

Bob

theBruiser500
09-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I wish soccer were more popular here too.

astroglide
09-18-2004, 02:42 AM
boohoo go players are very clever and elite for finding the game yet they can't play online just as they do with poker

daryn
09-18-2004, 01:27 PM
bruiser, there are a bunch of guys (read nerds) that get together in the blue wall like every wednesday or something and all they do is play go.

theBruiser500
09-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Astroglide, I don't like playing poker online, I like playing it live... so, good point.

turnipmonster
09-19-2004, 12:39 AM
I really like go also. in my neck of the woods (nyc) I've had a hard time finding people to play with that don't totally kick my ass every single time. I play the computer sometimes and it kicks my ass also.

--turnipmonster

emp1346
09-19-2004, 02:30 AM
well i've always wanted to play go, but, as seems to be a trend in this thread, had no one to play against...

sounds like online is all that's left for real possibilities... either that or try and start a go league in your town...

though that would seem to me to just be asking for people to laugh at you...

best of luck though...

Blarg
09-19-2004, 05:09 PM
There are actually some Go clubs in some places. I was surprised to find there's one in Los Angeles, for example. It is a big city, though.

Go is a great game. More intellectually stimulating than poker, and it has a wonderful, challenging nature in the same way chess does of demanding that you not only are doing tactical things successfully, but trying to work on strategic considerations with every play too. Influencing the board, creating pockets of safety...a lot goes on at once. It's very challenging and fun trying to combine multiple complex considerations, some which may only really show their true depth much later, at the same time.

Everyone tends to like what they're used to more than what's new or foreign, and Americans are not exactly known for being non-chauvinistic, so many of us write off anything new instantly as inferior by definition if it comes from somewhere else. You miss out on a lot that way though ... great food, great writing, great games too. Go is definitely a world-class game.