PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up credit reports. Is this wrong?

Nepa
09-17-2004, 04:20 PM
I have great credit now but this wasn't always the case. I just keep sending cerified letters to the credit bureau's till all the negitives were gone. I'm talking about charge offs. Here is a sample letter:

Your Name
123 Your Street Address
Your City, ST 01234

The Credit Bureau
Bureau Address
Anytown, State 56789

Date

Dear Credit Bureau,

This letter is a formal complaint that you are reporting inaccurate credit information.

I am very distressed that you have included the below information in my credit profile due to its damaging effects on my good credit standing. As you are no doubt aware, credit reporting laws ensure that bureaus report only accurate credit information. No doubt the inclusion of this inaccurate information is a mistake on either your or the reporting creditor's part. Because of the mistakes on my credit report, I have been wrongfully denied credit recently for a <insert credit type for which you were denied here> , which was highly embarrassing and has negatively impacted my lifestyle.

optional With the proof I'm attaching to this letter, I'm sure you'll agree it needs to be removed ASAP.

The following information therefore needs to be verified and deleted from the report as soon as possible:

CREDITOR AGENCY, acct. 123-34567-ABC

Please delete the above information as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,

your signature

Your Name
SSN# 123-45-6789

b.t.w. don't send in any proof, just take that line out of the letter. You have to get your credit reports first which will cost you about 20 bucks. Good luck if anyone is going to try this. Believe me it does work.

adios
09-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Nope.

sprmario
09-17-2004, 04:47 PM
I did this as well. I sent letters disputing 2 items on each letter per credit agency. There were several items that were legitimately wrong and I sent those in a separate letter and gave more detail and info so that they could be removed faster. I then did a 2nd round with the ones that stuck. I got about 1/3 of the stuff off my record and I've got a 730 rating now which is solid. Anything over 700 is good enough for most places. 720 is good enough for pretty much everywhere you might want to get credit at (to get the best rate). If you send in all your disputes at once on one letter they can dismiss it as just wasting their time. If at any point your claim isn't resolved in 30 days they have to remove the item from your record. This might seem like a pain in the ass but it will be worth it to get a 3.8% rate on a car loan (which I did /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Nepa
09-17-2004, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks just trying to prove a point to the wife.

adios
09-17-2004, 08:53 PM
FWIW bill collection agencies put bogus crap on peoples credit reports all the time, even after the bills have been paid. Credit reports invariably contain other wrong info as well. I know first hand, my step daughter has worked for collection agencies for about 6 years now. Equifax, Esperian, and TransUnion service the creditors not the cosummers. Negative information doesn't have to to be reported. It's useless trying to deal with a bill collection agency. Your approach is the best approach. In short people get bilked all the time in this system. Just in case you need more ammo for your wife.

If the credit agency sends you a letter that they've already investigated about three times, write the same kind of letter you wrote and tell them that they're red flagging your account. You could also mention the fair credit and reporting act requires the credit agency to reinvestigate the item in dispute in the letter you wrote. In short your advice is spot on.