PDA

View Full Version : AK is a powerful hand

chio
09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
i was about to call the turn, thought for a second, then clicked "raise"

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (11 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks

jujujaja34
09-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Choi,

I'm sure you know that the turn raise is leaps and bounds better than a call. The possbility that the button is on a draw + the prospect of making MP and CO call 2 cold with 55-99 and/or overcards + the size of the pot makes the checkraise muy bien imo.

On the river...a typical situation. I bet if I can comfortably fold to a raise and check/call if I can't. If the button isn't a loon I will bet. Personally, I can't put the button on a hand other than maybe Ah4x or Ac4c (or a pure bluff) that will raise me so I'm betting.

jujujaja34

tripdad
09-17-2004, 06:40 PM
i would attempt to check/raise on the flop, then the rest would obviously be determined by what happened there. you really have a poor hand against so many players. i'm more than likely going to leave this hand after investing 2BB and cut my losses.

cheers!

Peter_rus
09-17-2004, 08:36 PM
I would check-call flop and fold on turn unimproved or maybe call turn if action isn't too hard and i have 1:8 but better 1:9. I don't like to trick weak hands against 4 players as any T as well as 45 or two hearts will proceed to river all the time. Any gutshot draw and very often hands like QJ will proceed too. C/r cannot push them out as well as bet.

pshreck
09-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Its good that you got involved on the flop because you had a pair. Wait, no. Well you had a flush draw. Wait, no. You had a straight draw, no. You had nothing but two overcards with 4 others involved. Try check/fold on the flop. Raise any card on the turn (assuming no straights or flushes complete).

AK suited plays fine multiway because of so many possibilities of being the best hand. If you are eliminated from so many of those possible hands (flush and straight, other than ignorant end of low strt) why keep getting money involved in the pot.

chio
09-20-2004, 11:38 AM
my thoughts agree with juj that raising the turn is better than calling. given that i'm getting 11.5-1, i was going to call anyway, then decided it was definitely worth investing an extra bet since i'm in perfect position:
(1) to knock out better hands
(2) to clean up my outs
(3) for the small chance i am ahead of button in this big pot

i do agree that i am very likely behind and possibly drawing thin, however, i felt the pot was big enough to compensate me

anyway, button checks behind on the river and shows KhTh, so i was drawing to 3 outs. oops.

chio
09-20-2004, 11:39 AM
most of the other replies hated the flop bet given the board, my position, and the number of players. i don't think checking the flop and evaluating when it gets back to you is bad at all, but i think betting definitely deserves some consideration.

i wanted more replies, so here's the question for others who haven't answered yet:

ON THE FLOP WHICH IS BEST PLAY
(1) bet
(2) check-call (1 bet)
(3) check-fold
(4) check-raise (LP bet)