PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas is truly a jerk

SomethingClever
09-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm no Star Wars fanboy, but talk about arrogance!

Q: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

A: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. I'm the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they're going to throw rocks at me, they're going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.

Q: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

A: Not really.

Dominic
09-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Sorry, I'm on George's side on this one...it's his movie, he can what he wants with it.

SomethingClever
09-17-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I'm on George's side on this one...it's his movie, he can what he wants with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if DaVinci was still alive and he wanted to use the Mona Lisa for toilet paper?

elwoodblues
09-17-2004, 02:09 PM
I agree.

M2d
09-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Then she wouldn't be smiling, now, would she?

seriously, his work, his perogative.

Duke
09-17-2004, 03:02 PM
He is altering the movies. Pray he doesn't alter them any further.

~D

Toro
09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I think his answer is B.S. It's all about the money. If he thought he could make big bucks releasing both on DVD that's just what he'd do.

J_V
09-17-2004, 03:27 PM
George Lucas making Star Wars was the biggest fluke in the history of the world. Sort've like a monkey typing out Shakespeare's completed works. Give him some time to F it up.

Dominic
09-17-2004, 03:35 PM
bad analogy, but I'll answer anyway...if DaVinci owned the original, it's his to do with what he wants...but if he sold it, it's not.

A DVD is different...he hasn't change the movie you loved...you can still see it on VHS or in revivals...there's just no moral obligation for him to put it out on DVD just cause you want him to.

Dominic
09-17-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Is he coming to your house and altering YOUR VHS copy of it or the ones in the video store? No, he is not. He is simply offering an ALTERNATE version.

But in the future, if he chooses to not distribute the older version, again, that's his choice to make. He owns the negative.

So you better get a copy of it if you don't already!

Dominic
09-17-2004, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think his answer is B.S. It's all about the money. If he thought he could make big bucks releasing both on DVD that's just what he'd do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, is that a stupid comment.

You don't think EVERYone associated with Lucas Films has not BEGGED him to release both versions because they KNOW they'd make more money? Lucas is showing he DOES care more about the version he wants you to see than the money by NOT releasing the older version.

SomethingClever
09-17-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then she wouldn't be smiling, now, would she?

seriously, his work, his perogative.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is, of course, true, but don't you think it says something when he refuses to even throw fans the tiniest bone of just releasing the old movies exactly as they were?

He mentions how it would cost to refurbish them, but that's not what people want. No, George. Just. Release. Them. As. Is. You. Fawking. Noob.

What's the point of even making a movie if it's all about you? He obviously hit on something that touched the collective national consciousness... now he can't stop pooping on it.

I'm sure in a few years old George will sit alone in the basement of his Skywalker ranch watching the perfect, perfect, perfect version of Star Wars that he always intended to make, with all the extra dinosaurs in the background and different actors' faces superimposed over all the characters.

"This is what it's all about," he'll think to himself. "The perfect movie."

The other 99,000,000 Star Wars fans will meanwhile be burning him in effigy.

Toro
09-17-2004, 03:44 PM
If you say so, I guess it must be true.

scotnt73
09-17-2004, 03:53 PM
he can change them all he wants in my opinion. i wont be watching them. in my mind Han Solo will always shoot first.

pudley4
09-17-2004, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in my mind Han Solo will always shoot first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

Duke
09-17-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't recall stating any opinion whatever on the subject matter in my post. Nope. None there. Your confrontational manner baffles me.

You can't get the original theatrical release of Episode 4 anyhow. He's already erasing his place in history. Good for him.

You might consider deleting that post since it's far too confrontational without cause. George Lucas would have no problem with you doing so.

~D

Duke
09-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Sometimes it's sad to find out that an artist who created something great has absolutely no comprehension of what it was that made it great. In that sense, a million monkeys would be preferable to one man. They'll keep hammering away at the keys and never think to take back what they once gave the world.

I think someone should remake Citizen Kane. I'm sure a lot more can be done with CGI than with deep focus. It'll just make it that much better.

Now I offered an opinion, so people will have a reason to flame me.

~D

wacki
09-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I bought two copies of the original star wars on VHS. One to watch, one for safe keeping. Both were destroyed in a move. Now I can't buy the originals anymore. I can't stand the remakes. The cgi looks fake, and is rather pathetic looking at times. If Lucas was smart, he would understand the value of peer review, and listen to it. Yes, I know they are his movies, and yes he has the right to do whatever he wants with them. It just sucks that you can't legally buy his originals on DVD or VHS anymore. So no more original Star Wars for me. No big screen, no high def for the originals for anyone either. Pretty lame thing to do to deny the public from viewing a classic in it's original form.

I know it's his movies, but I have a right to an opinion and I think Lucas is either going senile or a complete monkey. Just look at his latest movies, Jar Jar Binx was actually a senator. How gay is that? He's a monkey, a complete monkey that got lucky.

SomethingClever
09-17-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, is that a stupid comment.

You don't think EVERYone associated with Lucas Films has not BEGGED him to release both versions because they KNOW they'd make more money? Lucas is showing he DOES care more about the version he wants you to see than the money by NOT releasing the older version.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic... are *YOU* George Lucas?

If so, for shame!

Diplomat
09-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Lamest. Change. Ever.

That scene was so cool until it was changed. Now it just sucks ass.

-Diplomat

Dominic
09-17-2004, 06:42 PM
LOL...yeah, I'm George Lucas. Damn, you caught me!

astroglide
09-17-2004, 06:50 PM
if you want higher quality originals you can get the laserdiscs on ebay. why does everybody give a [censored] about han solo shooting?

wacki
09-17-2004, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you want higher quality originals you can get the laserdiscs on ebay. why does everybody give a [censored] about han solo shooting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, just bought it. Now I need a laser disc player. I can't believe I'm going to this extreme.

Dominic
09-17-2004, 07:48 PM
I'll sell you my laser disc player...

Dominic
09-17-2004, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lamest. Change. Ever.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

Which scene are you talking about? Refresh my memory.

scotnt73
09-18-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lamest. Change. Ever.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

Which scene are you talking about? Refresh my memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a nerdy fanboy thing but here goes.

it the original star wars when greedo is pointing a gun at solo in the bar han blows him away from under the table by shooting a few seconds before him because hes a badass smuggler pirate

in the NEW version greedo fires a split second before han thus han is really just a good guy defending himself

Duke
09-18-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in the NEW version greedo fires a split second before han thus han is really just a good guy defending himself

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucas didn't have the technology originally to have Greedo shoot first. Now that it's possible, he wanted to show his true original vision.

~D

tolbiny
09-18-2004, 03:14 PM
So Guido cathces up to Solo, and then ineptly misses a shot from 2 feet away allowing solo to kill him?
More eveidence for the lucas is a monkey thoery.
A lot like mike martz winning a super bowl with the rams as a coordinator, but unable to when he is in charge. monkeys on both accounts.

daryn
09-18-2004, 03:22 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

this post is awesome. nice hand sir.

daryn
09-18-2004, 03:22 PM
i agree with everyone except somethingclever.

daryn
09-18-2004, 03:27 PM
wow.. i guess i have never seen the remakes! hahahahah to all you suckers!

Senor Choppy
09-19-2004, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can still see it on VHS or in revivals...there's just no moral obligation for him to put it out on DVD just cause you want him to.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that VHS degrades rapidly, so it's like saying you can rent the movie for a few years but that isn't what people want.

He's certainly under no moral obligation to rerelease the old movies, but it's still a rather shitty thing not to do. It seems reasonable to do a small favor for the fans that have put him in this position of being able to alter and rerelease his original films. I understand wanting to put out his version of the films, but he's doing that already, it wouldn't be him sacrificing anything but the vague principle he seems to be fighting for.

For anyone interested, you can find rips of the laserdisc versions on DVDs, with full artwork, menus, chapters, etc. for 50 bucks or so. I highly recommend them.

Senor Choppy
09-19-2004, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why does everybody give a [censored] about han solo shooting?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's horribly disruptive, looks really amateurish, and reminds of you bad TV versions of movies where obscenities have been replaced by words like mother lover by entirely different actors. Worse than the Greedo shooting first thing, which is over pretty quickly, are all the cgi dinosaurs and whatnot running around making cute faces or farting.

I think a lot of people fell in love with the whole low tech aesthetic of the originals. IMO the 25 year old models looked so much better than any of the new cgi effects in the new movies.

astroglide
09-19-2004, 03:12 PM
It's horribly disruptive, looks really amateurish

that may be true, but i think 99%+ of the people who mention it just like to mention it because it's the thing to do. some care about the 'pirate' aspect, and i think your problem with it is the most rare.

The once and future king
09-19-2004, 04:49 PM
He is but not for the reasons you give.

Phantom Menace. Nuff said.

scotnt73
09-19-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's horribly disruptive, looks really amateurish

that may be true, but i think 99%+ of the people who mention it just like to mention it because it's the thing to do. some care about the 'pirate' aspect, and i think your problem with it is the most rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i dont know that talking about star wars has ever been the IN thing to do. /images/graemlins/grin.gif when i start talking star wars i can just see the lust building up in my wifes eyes. if you dont get the solo change as being a big deal then thats cool. but for those of us children of the 70s the star wars movies where a major part of our lives.

no offense and i dont know how old you are but let them take your favorite black and white movie, slap some color on it and give the final scene a different line with an unneeded chase scene in the middle and see how you feel about it.

Duke
09-19-2004, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no offense and i dont know how old you are but let them take your favorite black and white movie, slap some color on it and give the final scene a different line with an unneeded chase scene in the middle and see how you feel about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think many old timers would use the name "astroglide" to go by online.

~D

The Dude
09-20-2004, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
this post is awesome. nice hand sir.

[/ QUOTE ]
Daryn, I'm glad you noticed it. As I was scrolling down thruogh this thread, I was thinking to myself "I can't believe nobody gets that comment."

Duke, well said.

daryn
09-20-2004, 02:36 AM
yeah i think some people just thought it was a normal post /images/graemlins/grin.gif

really though, i've never seen the new version of the greedo scene... i'll have to check it out and be disappointed like the rest of you.

astroglide
09-20-2004, 11:45 AM
what is the hidden meaning?

JPinAZ
09-20-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Daryn, I'm glad you noticed it. As I was scrolling down thruogh this thread, I was thinking to myself "I can't believe nobody gets that comment."

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it as soon as I read it.