PDA

View Full Version : How could ESPN not show this hand?!?

tpir90036
09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
I rewatched the final table last night and I couldn't help but notice that in between commerical breaks Arieh loses a ton of chips and Fossilman goes back up over 10 million. So, I looked through the pokerpages logs of the final table...how could they not show this hand on TV?!?

Hand #82
Harrington's button. Arieh opens for $250,000, and Raymer calls.
The flop comes 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Arieh bets $425,000 and Raymer calls.
The turn comes 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Arieh checks, Raymer bets $1 million, and Arieh calls.
The river comes 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Arieh checks, and Raymer moves all in. Arieh removes his sunglasses, stands up, walks around. He looks over at the $5 million, shakes his head in disbelief, and folds. Raymer wins a gargantuan pot.

If Fossilman happens to read this or if this was already beaten to death let me know. This seems like it was a pretty big hand and I am very curious to know what each player might have had. I am going to assume he made a good laydown since if this was an enormous bluff they would have been more likely to show it IMHO. I really wish ESPN could trim down the featurettes just a tad so that we can get in a few more hands here and there.

-tpir

ohkanada
09-17-2004, 11:43 AM
This has been discussed a lot the past few days. Greg reported he had the nut flush on the river.

Someone claimed Josh had a set, but who knows.

Ken

deuces09
09-17-2004, 11:44 AM
I believe I saw in another post that Raymer had the nut flush AcXc.

Who knows what Arieh had...

tpir90036
09-17-2004, 11:44 AM
thanks. i tried to search for it but there have been so many threads in here the past week that i couldn't come up with anything. i remember reading somewhere that Arieh had a set but i wasn't sure if i was making that up. i will try seraching again.

thanks again!
-tpir

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-17-2004, 11:47 AM
It has been discussed...

I believe Greg has already said that he was semi-bluffing on the turn with the nut flush draw -- which he made on the river. I don't think he knows what Arieh had.

I haven't seen anybody explain why ESPN didn't show the hand -- maybe they didn't catch the cards on their lipstick cameras?

Ghazban
09-17-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen anybody explain why ESPN didn't show the hand -- maybe they didn't catch the cards on their lipstick cameras?

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN didn't show many hands at all that didn't result in somebody either getting knocked out or doubling up. They'd rather use time during the broadcast to show "The Nuts" and "The Crew" vignettes.

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN didn't show many hands at all that didn't result in somebody either getting knocked out or doubling up. They'd rather use time during the broadcast to show "The Nuts" and "The Crew" vignettes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know... I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt... that they didn't show it because they didn't have it. Far more likely they didn't show it because they knew it was more important to show David Williams' mom again.

fnurt
09-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Well, let's assume Arieh has a set. What is going through his head when he check-calls the turn?

Freudian
09-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Perhaps he didn't have a set but a JT. I don't think he would play that scared with a set.

ohkanada
09-17-2004, 12:20 PM
I asked Greg in another post earlier today a few scenarios on this hand. Hopefully Greg answers.

Not sure if Josh was looking for a safe card on the river. There were 2 flush draws and all sorts of straight draws. I think Josh should have raised all-in on the turn.

Ken

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-17-2004, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I asked Greg in another post earlier today a few scenarios on this hand. Hopefully Greg answers.

Not sure if Josh was looking for a safe card on the river. There were 2 flush draws and all sorts of straight draws. I think Josh should have raised all-in on the turn.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

This was posted on RGP earlier today:

[ QUOTE ]
Beanie, i talked to Josh yesterday and asked him about this hand...he
told me he had top pair and knew it was good. When raymer bet 1
million on the turn Josh said he didnt have enough chips to set him
all in and make him fold...when the club hit the river he knew raymer
had the flush. Him having a set was the rumor but it wasnt true. I
believe i would have folded the turn to a $1mil bet if i had only top
pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had top pair and knew his hand was good, why didn't he bet out on the turn?

Just some more info for processing...

jrock901
09-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Terrible decision by ESPN. Why leave out the most interesting hand of that final table? I've been waiting since spring to see that hand and they leave it on the cutting room floor.

cowpie
09-17-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Terrible decision by ESPN. Why leave out the most interesting hand of that final table? I've been waiting since spring to see that hand and they leave it on the cutting room floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN is The NUTS. Apparently they don't want to show Arieh making good decisions, and when they do show it (I guess they had to), they don't say what a great laydown he did (when Arieh folded K high flush vs Murphy's full house on the river).

Less The NUTS and moms, more poker hands, ESPN!

cowpie
09-17-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he had top pair and knew his hand was good, why didn't he bet out on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he thought Raymer would call anyway as a 4:1 underdog to catch his nut flush on the river?

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-18-2004, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he thought Raymer would call anyway as a 4:1 underdog to catch his nut flush on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

But of course, he might not have -- as it turns out, he called on the turn, lost any folding equity and lost the chips.

young nut
09-18-2004, 05:28 PM
I talked to Arieh a few months ago about this hand, because watching the pokerstars simulcast it was a huge hand. Arieh held A 10. He had to fold because he knew Raymer hit the flush on the river.

I also don't know why ESPN didn't broadcast this hand, it was a huge pot which put Raymer in major command. Maybe next year ESPN will focus a little more on good hands rather than "THE NUTS"