PDA

View Full Version : McCain Urges Court to Put Nader on Ballot

GWB
09-17-2004, 10:50 AM
McCain Urges Court to Put Nader on Ballot (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&ncid=696&e=2&u=/ap/20040917/ap_on_el_pr/nader)

Will a partisan Florida Supreme Court try to disenfranchise the voters of Florida a second time?

elwoodblues
09-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Anyone know the theory under which Nader should be left off the ballots? I assume that there was some threshhold or deadline that he missed, but don't know. If it is, wouldn't this just be following the rule of law?

ChristinaB
09-17-2004, 11:10 AM
He wanted to get on the ballot on the Reform Party line. This party has a balance of $16 and no credible existance, so it was disallowed as a phony party.

The court said he should have had to get the signatures to get on the ballot as an independent instead, which he didn't do.

nicky g
09-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Rules, schmules...

adios
09-17-2004, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know the theory under which Nader should be left off the ballots? I assume that there was some threshhold or deadline that he missed,

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that Nader is not on the ballot in a many places because the signatures on his petitions were challenged by the Democrats and after the challenges there were not enough signatures. Before the ABB crowd starts whooping it up I readily acknowledge that the Republicans would do the same thing to a candidate like a Ross Perot.

adios
09-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Who decides whether or not signatures on petitions are valid? Is this a non partisan process?

nicky g
09-17-2004, 11:16 AM
No idea. But I thought (from Christina's post) that he wasn't using signatures to get on the ballot in Florida? I freely admit I know nothing at all about this. But I'm willing to learn /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

ChristinaB
09-17-2004, 11:27 AM
There is some confusion here, in most states with a Nader ballot controversy, it is a signature issue.

In Florida, it is the Reform Party issue. Here is a NYT article that explains Florida (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/14/politics/campaign/14nader.html)

[b]TALLAHASSEE, Fla., Sept. 13 (AP) - The State Supreme Court agreed Monday to hear arguments on whether Ralph Nader should stay on Florida's presidential ballot as a candidate for the Reform Party....

Last week, Judge Kevin Davey of Circuit Court sided with Democrats, who argued that the Reform Party was not a legitimate national party and that it did not follow state law when it gave its presidential nomination to Mr. Nader.

superleeds
09-17-2004, 11:35 AM
How's the 'Scaring the $hit out of Black Little Old Ladies' policy going George, I'm assume Jeb's keeping you in the loop

adios
09-17-2004, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How's the 'Scaring the $hit out of Black Little Old Ladies' policy going George, I'm assume Jeb's keeping you in the loop

[/ QUOTE ]

It's making about as much progress as Jesse Jackson's call for a re-vote; re-counting only the votes where the Democrats stand to benifit; having Democrats determine voter intention from hanging chad and pregnent chad; having a partisan Florida Supreme Court circumvent the enforcement of election rules passed by the legislature; and having absentee ballots from armed services personnel banned.

Let's start yet another argument about the 2000 election /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

nicky g
09-17-2004, 11:50 AM
What was the story about the absentee ballots? O what grounds did the dems think they should be excluded? What was the Republican counter?

GWB
09-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Dems wanted to exclude ballots with no postmark, even though they arrived to the Election's office before election day.

adios
09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
A story from the 2000 election:

Count the Absentee Ballots (http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/11/20/military.ballots/)

The reason they were postmarked late or not post marked was out of their control and the Democrats were instrumental in not having these ballots counted. Rules, schmooles? Tell it to the Florida Supreme Court.

nicky g
09-17-2004, 12:03 PM
But the story Tom posted talks about ballots that arrived after election day.

superleeds
09-17-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's making about as much progress as Jesse Jackson's call for a re-vote; re-counting only the votes where the Democrats stand to benifit; having Democrats determine voter intention from hanging chad and pregnent chad; having a partisan Florida Supreme Court circumvent the enforcement of election rules passed by the legislature; and having absentee ballots from armed services personnel banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's getting as much attention from the Liberal Media as the real scandal of the 2000 election did then.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's start yet another argument about the 2000 election .

[/ QUOTE ]

I made no mention of 2000 but I'm up for it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adios
09-17-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I made no mention of 2000 but I'm up for it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not /images/graemlins/frown.gif