PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Cocktail?

Nate tha' Great
09-17-2004, 08:36 AM
20-40 live game at Harrah's in East Chicago. Good game.

A loose straddle-happy buffoon open-raises in EP. Three players cold call, and I call in the SB with AJo. The BB calls. All callers are too loose preflop.

Six of us see a flop ($240):
J98 rainbow

I bet out, hoping that LAG will raise to narrow the field. Instead, BB calls, LAG calls, and two more overcall behind him.

Turn ($340, 5 players)

A low card falls, putting two diamonds on the board. I bet and get calls from the LAG and an old loose passive dude in MP.

River ($460, 3 players)

The two of diamonds, making a flush possible but little else.

I bet, LAG calls, and the old dude raises. I have been at the table for ~4 hours or so and ... well ... he's pretty much the working definition of loose passive. I fold getting around 15.5:1. It was the combination of the player and the situation that made me do it.

1800GAMBLER
09-17-2004, 09:09 AM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif ... and ??

Regardless of him being passive when someone raises two people on the river do you really think they are doing it with T,x or JK!?

The Bear
09-17-2004, 10:17 AM
This hand is set up beautifully for a turn check-raise. The river fold looks fine to me.

astroglide
09-17-2004, 01:11 PM
there is nothing noteworthy about this hand including your fold

Ulysses
09-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Yawn.

exist
09-17-2004, 01:39 PM
i don't think leading the flop hoping for the PF raiser to pop it again is going to work too often when you still have the best hand. and even if that sequence does occur, many players might still call two bets cold on the flop. what do you think about check calling the flop and then check raising the turn if a safe card hits (also depending on the action)?

Joe Tall
09-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Welcome to live Poker, Nate.

Peace,
Joe Tall

andyfox
09-17-2004, 02:52 PM
"It was the combination of the player and the situation that made me do it."

I hope so. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
I don't care about the hand. I just want to know if you still look like a clueless newbie when handling poker chips.

bobbyi
09-17-2004, 04:06 PM
I would have check-raised the turn. I also don't see what this has to do with shrimp cocktail. A fruit plate on the other hand...

ChicagoTroy
09-17-2004, 04:13 PM
He's got to keep it up as long as he can! The young look and chip dropping makes it harder to tell he can play.

Nate got lecutred on poker strategy by the biggest idiot at the $10-20 table last night. If I didn't know him, I would think the lack of dexterity in chip handling was an act designed to throw me off.

Nate tha' Great
09-17-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care about the hand. I just want to know if you still look like a clueless newbie when handling poker chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

My chip handling is a solid C+ now, although the half-kill pots can really fluster me.

Nate tha' Great
09-17-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think leading the flop hoping for the PF raiser to pop it again is going to work too often when you still have the best hand. and even if that sequence does occur, many players might still call two bets cold on the flop. what do you think about check calling the flop and then check raising the turn if a safe card hits (also depending on the action)?

[/ QUOTE ]

That might have been a slightly better variation, but the key is letting someone else take initiative in the hand on the flop. If I had checked the turn *after* leading on the flop, on the other hand, I honestly think there is a reasonable chance that everybody would just get confused and it would have checked around. That's the sort of game it is.

Nate tha' Great
09-17-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's got to keep it up as long as he can! The young look and chip dropping makes it harder to tell he can play.

Nate got lecutred on poker strategy by the biggest idiot at the $10-20 table last night. If I didn't know him, I would think the lack of dexterity in chip handling was an act designed to throw me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand in question was particularly amusing. I had Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif on the CO and limped after four or five others. Grizzled veteran raises on the Button and everyone calls.

The flop comes 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Checked around to me, I bet, and the veteran, who looks something like former Padres manager Dick Williams, raises. Only an LMP player who is almost all-in calls. I 3-bet and he just calls. Note that we had played a very similar hand on the last orbit when I led into him on the flop with 22 on a 644 board and he had raised with overcards.

Turn is a small /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet out and he calls.

River is a blank, I bet, he calls, and flips up black kings and begins to lecture me on how you can't learn nothing about poker from books and have to have a little bit of gamble in you and how I'll *never* be good enough to play at the Commerce if I keep doing stuff like *that*. Nice hand, Dick.

andyfox
09-17-2004, 05:14 PM
I've been playing B&M for nearly thirty years and I can't handle chips. Perhaps my steady diet of Neurontin and Lipitor has something to do with it.

True to your prediction, the other day, while folding to my bet, my oppponent said, "Uh oh, he's got the shakes. I fold."