PDA

View Full Version : Getting away from kk preflop - possible at low limits?

emil3000
09-17-2004, 04:49 AM
Sorry I don't have the actual hand history. This took place at empire's $25-buyin nl ring game.

I picked up kk in the small blind. Three middle-to-late position limpers. I raised to $3 (is it too small a raise btw?) and was reraised to $5.50 by a limper one from the button. All others fold. I pushed all in for another $20, and he called. He won the pot with AA. COuld i have laid it down? Should i have just called to see the flop before deciding (he spiked a third ace on the flop, so then i would certainly have gotten away from it).

Is there any other instance on the $25 stakes that you can get away from kk?

Sponger15SB
09-17-2004, 05:00 AM
No, it is pretty much impossible to get away from KK preflop, especially at low limits.

This thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ssplnlpoker&Number=971280& Forum=All_Forums&Words=%2450nl&Searchpage=0&Limit= 25&Main=971270&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=1071 4&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&older type=&bodyprev=#Post971280) should show why, and it was the 1 time I've really though hard about folding KK preflop.

One of the only ways I'd fold KK is if I knew the opponent was a rock, we both had 200bb+ stacks and we went through about 5 raises before he pushed.

GimmeDaWatch
09-17-2004, 07:01 AM
On this hand it was gonna be reaaaaal hard to do anything, especially since he limped then min re-raised you, which is pretty unusual. You could smooth call, but I would likely push. Ive folded KK twice at those limits against players I knew were pretty tight and wouldnt re-raise significantly with anything but Aces or Kings. In general on Party/Empire, though, dont worry about losing your stack in this scenario. You will be ahead far more times than you are behind, and the same proportion of the time you'll pick up aces when someone else will have Kings and they will be helpless. Or, you'll have Kings and two other players at the table will have Aces, and youll triple up when you flop your set (something I actually witnessed tonight on Party which Im sure I wont see again for a very, very long time)