PDA

View Full Version : Try this test

02-16-2002, 12:54 PM
This link goes to an entertaining little test.

Stud players will probably be able to see how it works right away.

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/esp.html

DJ

02-16-2002, 01:04 PM
All of the cards in the first sample are different from all of the cards in the second. I'm a holdem player though.

02-16-2002, 01:15 PM
... but not real hard !

02-16-2002, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I figured that out rather quickly. The real funny thing is the solutions that people propose. Some weird mathematical calculations, tracking of pupil dilations....very humorous. Hold'em player here too.

02-16-2002, 11:46 PM
This takes about 5 seconds to figure out if you have half a brain. But the REALLY good stuff is found on the page where people submit their explanations.

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/esp4.html

02-17-2002, 01:39 AM
The whole site just proves how credulous many people are. And you are right natedogg; the really humorous stuff are the explanations. I scrolled down and found one from (I am not making this up) a guy called Mason. It read:

From Mason: I have tried this 10 times in a row. You got it right every time.

And Mason is a 7-card stud player too.

-Zeno

02-17-2002, 04:53 AM
Never mind just stud players - any card player should figure this out in seconds. Make sure you read the "Explanations". Much more entertaining than the ESP gimmick.

Surely Cliff Pickover is writing all those "oohs" and "ahhs" and "how amazings" himself. Quantum physics eye detectors indeed.

02-17-2002, 07:16 AM
this is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Way too simple to fool anybody who thinks straight.

02-17-2002, 09:25 AM
http://www.winkingjesus.com/

02-17-2002, 03:48 PM
I particularly liked the person who did it 49 times, gradually picking more cards until finally they were picking every single card and amazed to find they were all missing. I can only assume the post was sarcastic.

02-17-2002, 04:35 PM
OK,I'll bite, I don't know how it's done. Would someone please explain.

02-18-2002, 01:54 AM
It's an "out of this world" clever Java script.

What I find even more amazing is that when I remember 2 cards, the script removes both of them.

The computer just knows what you're thinking.

Maybe you could see if it works for you too when you remember 2 cards.

And then try 3 and so forth.

Absolutely incredible.

02-18-2002, 02:25 AM
If your question is serious, here is the serious answer.

The six cards you initially see are:

Kh,Jc,Ks,Qd,Qc,Jd

Then, you pick a card.

The computer program "removes a card" and shows you.

Kd,Qs,Jh,Kc,Qh

So, is the card you picked still there? /images/smile.gif

02-18-2002, 09:38 AM
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

(If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.)

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

(Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out.)

02-18-2002, 09:45 AM
you are so right! - i thought my memory was playing tricks but even when i wrote them ALL down NONE of them were there!

i was so impressed i dealt real cards out to my math teacher to demonstrate - i called it the haven experiment

but, of course, wouldn't you know? - that one time the goldang thing didn't work!

02-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Dynasty,I think you missed the sarcasm in people's responses, tough guy.

02-18-2002, 01:51 PM

02-18-2002, 04:23 PM
OK,I'll bite, I don't know how it's done. Would someone please explain.

jimare's question (above) doesn't read like sarcasm. It seems serious.

tough guy?

02-18-2002, 08:37 PM
If it was serious, he'd never it admit it! (By the way, I have this bridge I've been trying to sell ...)

02-19-2002, 11:43 AM
I enjoy card magic, and was thinking how to do this "test" as a card trick. Here's what I came up with.

Set up:

The top 12 cards are as follows. Top card immaterial. Cards 2 - 6 are the second set of 5 cards the web site shows. Cards 7 - 12 are the first set of 6 cards to choose from.

Presentation:

Show cards 7 - 12 in a fan with cards 1 - 6 secretly hidden behind. Tell victim to choose a card, he can change his mind, let you know when he's sure, concentrate on card, etc. He lets you know when he's ready. You put all 12 cards on top of the deck (he think there's 6). You take off the top 6, and pretend to mix them up (reversing their order twice is an easy way to do this). Put them back on top of the deck. You then flamoyantly place the top card (the immaterial one) in the middle of the deck, proclaiming you have removed the card he was thinking of. Then display the 5 cards on the top (the second set) and ask if you correctly read victim's mind.

Note:

The reason for apparently mixing up the cards is so there is some logical reason as to why the cards are appearing in a different order than before. That is, there's a good chance it won't be noticed what the original cards were, but it could easily be noticed that the order was different.

Hope this is clear and someone enjoys this.

02-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Yes I was serious. Now again, can someone explain the solution to the ESP experiment.

02-26-2002, 07:12 PM
Yo fellows, I solved the ESP experiment. If anyone would like to know the answer E-mail me at :iquitabc@yahoo.com. After getting the answer I feel like I'm giving away a magicians secret; it's that good and that simple.