PDA

View Full Version : Value bet river?

Evan
09-17-2004, 02:35 AM
All of my interesting hands lately have been pocket pairs with wierd board that leave me not knowing if I should value bet the river.
UTG in this hand is very tight passive, Agression Factor after 250 hands is .3, VPIP is 14.

$3/$6 Hold'em Table Table 15839 (Real Money)
Total number of players : 10
Dealt to Evan [ J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif ] in CO

UTB calls [$3], UTG+1 calls [$3], UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="red">Evan raises [$6] </font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls [$3], UTG calls [$3], UTG+1 calls [$3]

** Dealing Flop ** [ T /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ] (4 Players, 9.3 SB)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Evan bets [$3]</font>, BB folds, UTG calls [$3], UTG+1 folds
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif ] (2 players, 5.7 BB)

UTG checks, <font color="red">Evan bets [$6]</font>, UTG calls [$6]

** Dealing River ** [ K /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

UTG checks, <font color="blue"> Evan checks </font>

I was obviously really afraid of getting check-raised here since I knew I'd have to call it and throw away 2 BB. I also thought that there was a good chance he'd fold most of the hands I would want him to call with. All in all I decided to check through. Good or bad?

crockpot
09-17-2004, 02:38 AM
i'd bet. the guy has given you no reason to think he has top pair or better, and a backdoor flush is obviously unlikely. you'd be surprised how many hands he will call with that you can beat. this probably includes any ten, any eight, and even smaller pocket pairs.

anatta
09-17-2004, 02:45 AM
You should bet this river. You know that the king makes your opponent having a king less likely. He played his hand pretty passively for having top pair. Don't be afraid of being check-raised, it happens to everyone. Get those extra bets from these calling stations.

It is a mistake to think that your opponent will not call with a large variety of worse hands.

DonkeyKong
09-17-2004, 02:47 AM
value bet it. top card paired and he didn't raise you the first time, probably not this time.

if an Ace came on the river, I would consider checking it through... unless its a complete donkey who would play 99 that way... what else would the guy be waiting on? AT or A8 or a flush..

but with just the back-door flush... value bet it.

joker122
09-17-2004, 02:47 AM
I'd check this river against an unknown. With your read a check seems even more correct.

Ragone
09-17-2004, 02:49 AM
I wrote about 3 responses and erased every one trying to think about exactly what I would do. I think I like your reasoning, if you observed him as tight passive I don't know what hands less than yours he would really call with. Especially with the pre-flop raise, if he didn't have the K he wouldn't be calling.

joker122
09-17-2004, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the guy has given you no reason to think he has top pair or better

[/ QUOTE ]

His read is tight/passive.

Also, what hands do you think will call besides a ten?