PDA

View Full Version : Helmuth Folded His Kings to TT

RPatterson
09-17-2004, 01:38 AM
On Paul Phillips blog he is claiming to know "on good authority" that that dude held Tens. Somehow he plays as well as a human being can possibly play even though he is constantly folding superior hands and avoiding opportunities to double up. You go hombre! Next WSOP is yours!

snowlarbear
09-17-2004, 11:45 AM
err... he still has more titles than most of us ever will.

deuces09
09-17-2004, 11:51 AM
That post is slightly inaccurate

I believe the board was T9x, Hellmuth had KK, and the other guy had Tx for a pair of tens, and not a set

Just to clear things up, as according to Phillips the other guy had a pair of tens and not a set.

Daliman
09-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Board was 865 or 875, with 2 of one suit, i'm fairly certain.

Greeksquared
09-17-2004, 12:22 PM
I dont mind this fold at all. Most of you don't have the skill to lay down a pair. An over pair is not that good of a hand after the flop. It is a decent hand but not one that you want to risk all your chips especially since he didnt move in preflop. He just has discipline to lay down big hands.

SossMan
09-17-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont mind this fold at all. Most of you don't have the skill to lay down a pair. An over pair is not that good of a hand after the flop. It is a decent hand but not one that you want to risk all your chips especially since he didnt move in preflop. He just has discipline to lay down big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lay down may or may not have been the right play, but I think most of the hubbub is the fact that phil made such a production of the laydown, calling over the ESPN cameras and stating that this is only the 4th time he's ever folded this hand and it turns out he was up against a 5 outer.

Although, I'm not convinced that he wouldn't still have folded if his opponent showed him his hand. After all, a 5 outer will hit about 20% of the time, and we all know that Phil doesn't need to take a 4:1 favorite, right?

vinnox
09-17-2004, 04:20 PM
"Halfway through day 1 I pick up K-K and the action is raise to $600 by the first position, then second position makes it $2,200 to go, and third position calls."

So he (the bettor) reraised an utg raise with Tx?

deuces09
09-17-2004, 04:37 PM
By Tx I mean T and any card. So it was probably AT or KT, most likely suited (and a dumb play, to boot)

Justin A
09-17-2004, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're certainly wrong. There was definitely a ten, and I think it was T97 with two diamonds or two hearts.

Justin A

RPatterson
09-17-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
err... he still has more titles than most of us ever will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of us haven't been playing 100 man tournaments for 20 years.

RPatterson
09-17-2004, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I lack the discipline and skill to fold 95% favorite hands and avoid doubling up.

RPatterson
09-17-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By Tx I mean T and any card. So it was probably AT or KT, most likely suited (and a dumb play, to boot)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is more stupid, making that play or folding to it?

Stew
09-17-2004, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're certainly wrong. There was definitely a ten, and I think it was T97 with two diamonds or two hearts.

Justin A

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're definitely wrong and the board was 5,7,8 rainbow.

deuces09
09-17-2004, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is more stupid, making that play or folding to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding to it, of course. On a board of rags with straight and flush posibilities, no way am I fearing being behind with that kind of pre-flop action (unless one of the players plays flops Negreanu style). If it's aces, it's aces. You'd have to have an amazing read on the guy to fold kings in that position.

But now I'm confused what the flop was, given that there's two seperate accounts. I could have sworn there was a ten there... if I'm wrong I apoligize, I just remember there being a ten and hearing other people say the same thing (including Mr. Phillips).

Josh W
09-18-2004, 02:30 AM
I am good friends with Kelly Kim (the player whom Phil folded KK to). He told me the story long before it aired, and I was playing at the Hustler with him when it was first broadcast. I mentioned this in the first thread on the subject as well. When I speak with Kelly, I'll ask him if he minds me saying what he held.

But it wasn't TT. That's all I'll say for now, so please don't bother asking me anymore specifics.

Josh