PDA

View Full Version : maniac or not?

02-14-2002, 02:03 PM
There's a guy who plays regularly in the same game as I do. He has about four different "modes" that he switches back and forth from. He actually is a pretty good reader, and tough to deal with for some. If you ask ten people what they think of his game, you'll get ten different answers, but with "tricky and tough" consistent in all of them.

His tight mode is really screwed down preflop, but very tough post flop.

His average mode is normal preflop and tough post flop.

His go mode is very aggressive proflop and tough post flop.

His maniac mode is maniacal all the way through.

Having played with him for a while, I've learned to read him pretty well, and I've decided that I should stay out of his way when he's screwed down and average, play back at him when he's in go mode, and rope-a-dope when he's in maniac if I can isolate him.

Unlike most maniacs, he's well aware of where he's at most of the time, and, like I've mentioned a couple of times, pretty tough post flop.

Anyone else have a better way of dealing with him?

His

02-15-2002, 03:02 AM
When he's in tight mode, there no EV in playing against him. When he is in average mode, keep playing tight pre-flop and aggressive post-flop.

You are playing fine against his other modes. As long has you are playing tighter than he is and keeping up with him post-flop, you should be okay, Watch out when short-handed or heads-up that he doesn't bully you around.

02-15-2002, 05:04 AM
He's actually learning that short is his forte (given his propensity to be in go mode), and is buttoning up quite a lot when the games are full. He still lapses into maniac sometimes, but not as often as he has in the past. You're right, though. He's a killer in short-handed games given his ultra aggressive game and his pretty tough post flop action.

One thing I've found interesting is that a lot of the other regulars aren't adjusting to his game that much. Often, people will see him as a maniac only, and not allow for his changing modes. They also don't seem to see how his game is changing over time. This is opening up some spots against the rest of the table when he's in the game. overall, if my longterm and shortterm reads on this guy are correct, it's working out pretty well for me against the whole table.