PDA

View Full Version : Wild rebuy post rebuy period

betgo
09-17-2004, 12:33 AM
$10 Pokerstars rebuy 40 minutes past rebuy period. I get JJ in 3rd position and raise 600 (3xBB) of my T12K chips. I wondered if I should limp given the aggressiveness of the table, but JJ is a good hand. 5th position with T8K calls. Button with 27K reraises to 2200.

Button had accumulated his chips by gambling in the rebuy period and playing aggressively afterward. I think I probably have the best hand, but I fold. 5th position calls. All low cards fall. There is a big bet and call on the flop, and they go allin on the turn. Button wins the hand with pocket pair 88 over 5th position's pocket pair 66.

I would have won a big pot if I played that hand. However, I prefer to really have the goods when I gamble with players like that.

JayKon
09-17-2004, 02:11 AM
With JJ I call the 2200. If there are no overcards on the flop, I would probably push.

Potowame
09-17-2004, 03:15 AM
So Basically your saying this guy was a LAG? But than You muc because You think that He wouldn't do this with any hand that you beat?

I think to a LAG a call is in order, and I would checK raise that Flop. IF he is really LAGGY I don't see how to get away from this hand.

BobboFitos
09-17-2004, 03:18 AM
Betgo,at the minimum I would've played your hand for set value. (If not for best hand value, but could reevaluate on flop)

The truth is I dont mind the fold as it's never fun to play around with a bigger stack than your own, but since you noticed the loose aggressive nature of the big stack, I think calling is better than folding, and preferring folding over raising.

Percula
09-17-2004, 05:25 AM
I watched a little bit of your play before you went out (even wished you gl but you did not reply or have chat one). Anyway, from the few hands I seen, you looked weak/tight and/or frustrated. I missed the AK that crippled you... But it all just reminded me of myself when I get frustrated and not willing to wait or push when the odds aren't there.

I have played at tables with you in the past and you did not play that way then, so I can only guess that something was "off" for you tonight. Don't let it get you out of step, you are a solid player.

betgo
09-17-2004, 07:25 AM
You are right. I probably should have called the reraise with JJ. I definately would have called it for set value if I knew the other player was going to flat call.

I don't think I was playing weak tight in general. Just had to play tight against these kinds of rebuy players. I usually have good success in these $10 rebuys. I once made the top 20 3 of 4 times in a row (out of 700-1000 players), with one 3rd place finish, and the other time about 80th. When I get a big stack and the play tightens, I start putting in loose raises.

The AK hand, I had T14K one position before the cutoff. I raised T1800 (3xBB). I thought of pushing, because I thought I would probably be called, but thought it would be a waste of a good hand. The BB with T12K reraises allin. Of course, I call. BB shows 67s, and wins hand with trip 7s.

I was a little shocked to see that 67s. However, 67s had a 41% chance against AKo. Against an overpair, it would have a 21-23% chance. I don't think pushing was a real good play, since if he is called he will be up against either two overcards or an overpair.

I guess the BB thought there was a good chance I would fold, and wanted everyone to know not to steal from him. My standard raise from late position probably looked weak, since a lot of people were opening for 5-7xBB. I had just come back from getting a snack, the action was already on me, and I thought a while about pushing or making a bigger raise, so I was slow to respond, which he may have interpretted as weakness. I think this is a poor tell for weakness: a lot of times it meabs a very big hand, since a person may purposefully delay (weak means strong) or be thinking about how to exploit a big hand. He may have thought I was weak tight and could steal from me, but that is dangerous, because a tight player is likely to have a real hand.

Getting raised by 67s, I would expect to pick up T3K on average as opposed to T1K with the blinds and antes, so I can't complain.

A lot of these rebuy players got big stacks by gambling with all sorts of hands in the rebuy period, and were playing like they were on steroids, speed, cocaine or something.

Even in the $200 rebuy in the WCOOP, the play was pretty wild and aggressive after the rebuy period, and I felt it best to play tight and let them come at me when I had a very strong hand.

Percula
09-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Don't get me wrong, I was just telling what I was seeing on the relitively few hands I seen, which might be exactly what the other players were seeing, or just like you said they sucked (and sucked out alot). I seen alot of the crap they were playing and winning with.

betgo
09-17-2004, 10:13 AM
The only other hand I had played recently besides the one I folded JJ to a reraise, I was in one of the blinds with KJo. I made a pair on the flop. I kept checking and the other guy kept betting. On the river, I made 2 pair, but it also made a 3-flush on the board. I checked and called on the river also. That may have looked like incredibly passive play, but sometimes check/calling is good against aggressive players. I picked up a lot of chips on that hand. It may seem overcautious, but I had reasons not to bet when I thought I had the best hand when the guy might be trying to run me down with nothing. I also had reasons for not leading or checkraising with my two pair with the potential flush.

It is quite possible that the BB read from these hands and all the hands I didn't play that I was weak tight and could be run over with a huge overbet allin.

I think it is a bad approach to make a huge bet like that you can't get away from against a tight player. What does he think the tight player is raising with? Even a real weak tight player is too likely to have a big hand he will call you with.

Since I was playing especially tight and sometimes passively against all the maniacs, they probably thought I was a real weak tight. That kind of push is probably how a maniac would react.

I was really shocked to see the 67s, although it is not a bad hand to make that kind of move with, if you are going to make that kind of move. I would expect to be even with AK or an underpair, or way ahead with Ax or Kx. I could have been up against AA or KK, but a lot of players would make a smaller reraise with a big pair.