PDA

View Full Version : Was I really supposed to play this faster?

Grisgra
09-16-2004, 10:52 PM
I remain unconvinced I did anything wrong by waiting to the river . . . what do you think?

---------
Paradise Poker 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.66 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (9.66 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG has 3h Kd (straight, five high).
Hero has Ks As (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: UTG wins 9.66 BB. </font>

Gazza
09-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Looks fine to me. It's one line of play. You will win more in the long run with him putting money in this pot.
He would obviously have called a raise on the turn, however, judging by the way he played the hand

Gazza

joker122
09-16-2004, 11:07 PM
You need to raise the turn. If he has a draw he will pay off a turn raise but he'll either check/fold the river or bet/fold the river assuming his draw doesn't get there. If he has a hand he's planning on showing down, say a PP or K high he will also most likely check call the river and you won't get a chance to raise.

You also protect your hand with a turn raise.

Grisgra
09-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Maybe, but given he bet out on the flop I figured he had a medium pocket or was just doing a random dumb bluff, and in either case didn't want to dissuade him -- I mean, he's got so few outs here, regardless . . . the possibility of a draw really never entered my mind.

joker122
09-16-2004, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but given he bet out on the flop I figured he had a medium pocket or was just doing a random dumb bluff, and in either case didn't want to dissuade him

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. If it's a PP (which is the most likely holding) he's going to a showdown. However, he is most likely going to check/call the river (I think this is what you are failing to realize).

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, he's got so few outs here,

[/ QUOTE ]

I flush draw has 8 outs here, but that's not even the point. If it is a draw he will have to call a turn raise but if he misses on the river you probably aren't going to get even 1 bet out of him, and definately not 2.

[ QUOTE ]
or was just doing a random dumb bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it's a bluff raising the turn is correct because he might call the raise and see if catches something on the river.

JimmyJazz1
09-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Raise the turn. If he has an ace he'll play it back at you and you can cap it. I think your just costing yourself a big bet or two by waiting till the river to raise.

I've always believed that the turn is where you'll make most of your money and my poker tracker stats prove that it is, for me at least.

Worst comes to worse he was betting with a draw, but he'll still pay you off on the turn and maybe even the river. He'll call you down with any pocket pair as well.

Zele
09-17-2004, 08:43 AM
You line is OK, but I'd usually raise the flop. Most often you won't get credit, and might even get CRed on the turn as a semibluff. Plus if he has a lower A you'll make many more bets.