PDA

View Full Version : first hand

xanderm
09-16-2004, 10:40 PM
i've been lurking for quite a while.

i'm trying to apply what i read in SSH, but i'm not quite sure i'm there yet, and i'm wondering if this is the correct type of play.

PokerRoom 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

the table is very loose and i've seen some weird raises preflop (A6s, KTo)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (15 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

River: (17 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

comments appreciated

RT4
09-16-2004, 10:50 PM
The cap on the pre-flop and 3bet on the flop scream to me large pair from QQ to AA. I'd drop it after the 3 bet rather than call.

SoCalPat
09-16-2004, 10:56 PM
99 from your position isn't a hand you make it 3 bets with unless you are absolutely certain the PF raiser is a clown and you can isolate him.

Think about the hands which people raise. You're either way behind (AA-TT) or in a coin flip (AK, AQ, etc.). Not a situation in which you want to put in any more money than absolutely necessary.

Conversely, the only way in which you could like your chances of winning is if you flop your set. And when you do that, you want as many players in the hand as possible. You don't want to limit the field PF. Also, if someone in back does have AA or KK, you'll be seeing a fourth bet.

Calling the raise is the proper play, but making it 3 bets is wrong in nearly every sense.

xanderm
09-16-2004, 11:27 PM
that's what went through my head afterwards.
the preflop charts in SSH recommend re-raising preflop, however after the villian capped i think it was hit my set or fold.

thanks for the replys

Yerma
09-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi mhig,

I would consider this hand by putting yourself in the other guy's shoes. The reason you can't 3-bet preflop with the 99 is that on this flop, when he 3-bets you, you either have a small advantage over AK, or you are at a large disadvantage to a bigger pocket pair. *Most likely* you are at a large disadvantage to a bigger pocket pair. That is because, if you put yourself into his shoes, he has watched you 3-bet him preflop, raise him on the flop after he capped it preflop, and he is still willing to raise you. What must he have to do this to you?

I think most tough players will consider just putting down the 99 preflop without putting in a single bet. Just calling is in order only because there is a late position poster behind you.

Yerma
09-17-2004, 12:42 AM
That is horrible. If you 3-bet, you have created a pot that an AK hand will try to play for (if the utg player is any good). You have to call down here. Folding or calling preflop so that you don't have to make the call down is better.

Sent
09-17-2004, 12:51 AM
I like this 3-bet PF, but UTG caps, and on the flop he 3-bets, and bets out on turn, I think this is where you need to fold. He clearly isnt afraid of anything on the board. I'm sure he has an overpair (unless he is kinda nutty).

-Sent

bisonbison
09-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Hey dude, can you PM me this hand history? BB should not be acting first preflop.