PDA

View Full Version : Re-steal

ddubois
09-16-2004, 10:17 PM
I almost never attempt a re-steal without a top10% (http://home.earthlink.net/~craighowald/data/matchup2.html) hand (and even then I usually regret the move unless I have a top5% hand), because they seemingly always call and usually have a better holding. Being very pessimistic and somewhat weak-tight, I have no inclination, skill or experience at recognizing situations where my opponent would likely fold to a re-steal. Do you ever come over the top all-in with a hand not of the top10% catagory? How often? What factors do you look for to make that move? Or do you generally prefer the stop-n-go for your blind defense needs?

durron597
09-16-2004, 10:25 PM
It takes a very specific kind of player for me to do it. This is the sort of player who open-raises a lot, but very rarely re-raises. Also it helps if I've seen them open raise, get called, and eventually show down crap. Also if the person seems to open raise his button/SB at every opportunity, or also if the person tends to fold a lot post flop.

Also there are situational reasons. Say we are on party and the stacks are 4000/1500/2000/500 BB (you)/SB/Button/CO. Button has been open-raising a lot when it was more handed and the blinds are 100/200. If you want to make it even a more clear push assume the blinds are going to go up next hand. CO folds and button raises to 500. I will probably push in with anything remotely decent here, because the Button almost certainly doesn't want to bust before the CO blinds off.

RobGW
09-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I usually look at whether I checked to him. If it was checked to him he is more likely to bet with nothing to pick up the pot. The bet size in relation to the pot. If he makes a small bet he may be just trying to test the waters. The position of the raiser, most people in EP are unlikely to be completly bluffing. His past actions, if he always bets on the flop he is more likely to be bluffing. How much he has left, if he is desperate he is more likely to call. How much I have compared to him, if he has way more than you he is more likely to call. I am sure there is more to think about but this is a start.

Irieguy
09-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Perfect example, durron! I think understanding that example will add an immediate 5% ROI to an intermediate player... it's truly a golden reply. I will also resteal against the chip leader if I am in second place with a good stack on the bubble. Big stacks should appropriately raise with just about any 2 once the shortest stack has folded when 4 handed. I will re-steal with any 2 here quite frequently. I don't want to toot anybody's horn (or imply that my own horn would ever deserve to be tooted), but this simple little thread is already worth actual dollars to anyone who learns from it.

There are 2 very specific short-handed skills that I think differentiate between an expert and a non-expert SNG player:
1. Restealing from other big stacks on the bubble.
2. I can't reveal #2 just in case few people have learned it. (I've never seen an opponent use this skill, so it's possible it's still a secret.)

But if anyone guesses #2 I will acknowledge it.

Irieguy

chill888
09-17-2004, 06:16 AM
Yes, restealing late is worth gold against most solid players who aren't too small stacked - especially if you have been playing pretty tight.

As to the second way, don't worry, I'm also keeping it myself. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The once and future king
09-17-2004, 06:38 AM
One of my most favourite and satisfying moves in poker is inducing the resteal from an aggresive player when holding a monster.

Late on you dont just want to get the blinds with your premium hands. Inducing the resteal is one of the best ways to achieve value from premium holdings.

chill888
09-17-2004, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One of my most favourite and satisfying moves in poker is inducing the resteal from an aggresive player when holding a monster.

Late on you dont just want to get the blinds with your premium hands. Inducing the resteal is one of the best ways to achieve value from premium holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point, and a laying a trap by earlier betting patterns is worth gold late game.

A prerequisite to restealing is having the discipline to fold under certain conditions when caught - and not just recalculating pot odds and out and ending up calling the rere-raise with 2nd best.

Jason Strasser
09-17-2004, 08:12 AM
That move rocks, where did you learn it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif?

-jason

KJ o
09-17-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are 2 very specific short-handed skills that I think differentiate between an expert and a non-expert SNG player:
1. Restealing from other big stacks on the bubble.
2. I can't reveal #2 just in case few people have learned it. (I've never seen an opponent use this skill, so it's possible it's still a secret.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to guess: Keeping a very small stack alive when you have the chip lead and the others are waiting for the small stack to bust, thus enabling you to steal from them like crazy? The situation only comes up infrequently, obviously, but when it does, it's far from difficult to extract 2000+ chips from it.

durron597
09-17-2004, 12:06 PM
I learned it from..... um.... some random 2+2 poster.... sheesh, I can't remember who it was..... UM. HMMMMM I believe the post had something to do with an 83o allin reraise. But other than that I'm a total blank...

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Irieguy
09-17-2004, 03:57 PM
bingo

rachelwxm
09-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Irieguy, nice post, now I am trying to understand how to steal when I am big stack. Could you give a specific example when you try to steal form big stack? To me it takes a lot of guts.

chill888
09-18-2004, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Irieguy, nice post, now I am trying to understand how to steal when I am big stack. Could you give a specific example when you try to steal form big stack? To me it takes a lot of guts.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it takes lots of guts is recognized by a good big stack allowing you often to resteal without a huge raise. So often "certain types" of players put in small bets post flop late game just to test the waters. A small reraise can be enough to make them think the water is too cold.

Again the bluff needs plausibilty and an escape route:
PLAUSIBILTY:
1. For example, A flopped ace if the opponent wasn't aggressive preflop
2. Little cards if he was aggressive
3. Any pair on the board for trip shock value
4. You get the idea.
5. Helps if image is in your favor (ie you haven't being doing this much recently and are seen as pretty tight)

Escape Route
------------
Often (in fact usually) you must hesitate, pause, and muck when re-re-raised. but say blinds where 100/200. Villain makes it 400 preflop and u call. Villain bets 200 postflop making the pot 1000. Often a raise to 600 will win right there and it only needs to less than 50% of time to be more than worthwhile.

gl

PS - good news for everyone I'm off on a weeks vacation. Enjoy my silence and gl

Irieguy
09-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Well, durron gives a perfect example above. But here's a little more on the topic:

When you are either the big stack, or the second biggest stack, and there is somebody pretty close to going bust on the bubble, there will be a lot of resteal opportunities. Specifically, this situation arises when the smallest stack folds from UTG or button and you and the other big stack are still yet to act. The first person in the pot at this point is correct to raise with just about any 2 cards because it is so hard for the other player to call. Also, if the first person to act here has a monster, he will be very reluctant to raise a standard amount for fear of getting no action. So, if your opponent is at all reasonable, he will fold to an all-in reraise here with anything but a huge hand.

It takes guts because you are usually running the bluff naked... but your success rate is so high that it's not very scary. Another example is playing from the big blind. An expert SNG player will never let the SB limp on the bubble. A SB limp is almost never a trap during bubble play, so you should simply never let somebody get away with it.

Irieguy

ddubois
09-18-2004, 10:19 PM
I encourage folks to use this thread to post examlpe re-steals they made.