PDA

View Full Version : TT Overpair vs Flopped Set

Brian462
09-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Blinds are at 25/50 in a NL Party 10+1.

I have 1075 in chips on the button when I pick up TT. UTG(3k stack) min raises and 1 person calls(565 stack). I call and the blinds both fold.

Flop comes down 873 w/ 2 spades. He bets out 75 into a 375 pot. Other guy folds and I go all in over the top and he calls w/ 77 for the set and takes me out.

Any comments please?

poboy
09-16-2004, 08:53 PM
There's a good rule you should follow in this situation. No set means no bet. True you will often be ahead with a flop like this, but you can't risk it with such a vulnerable hand. His smallish bet(in relation to the pot) should also let you know that he wants callers. It would be difficult to put him on a set(I would probably put him on 2 pair) but you have to figure he caught something. It would be really hard not to lose some chips in this hand but there is no reason to lose all of them. Myself I would have just called and slowly bled away a decent portion of my stack on the off chance that my hand was good, but would fold if he made a large bet on the turn or river. JMO

ChrisV
09-16-2004, 09:09 PM
I think you should move allin preflop. In my experience a minimum raise UTG is almost never a big hand. People either put in a normal size raise, or limp it if they want to slow roll. Moving allin preflop is not without its risks. However, calling also leads to some bad situations on the flop (the one you encountered among others). There are 275 chips out there and I am inclined to grab them. Note that you may also get a call out of the short stack with a smaller pair.

I personally would move in but calling is fine too. The flop you played fine. I suppose you could argue that you might get away from it if you raised to 250 and he reraised. A smart player would just call the 250 and trap you on the turn.

no_deals
09-16-2004, 09:24 PM
It would be difficult to put him on a set(I would probably put him on 2 pair) but you have to figure he caught something.

i.wouldnt.put.the.utgraiser.on.2.pair.with.this.fl op.
but.i.agree.with.your.statement.to.play.the.1010.c areful.
if.an.overcard.or.the.flush.hits.the.turn.or.river .he.still.could.get.cheap.away.from.the.hand.