PDA

View Full Version : I broke my own record!!!!!!!!

stupidsucker
09-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Lost 17 in a row.

I lost every coinflip
I lost every 60/40 reguardless of which side I was on
Almost every time I was forced to push I ran into a dominated hand QQ vs KK my AQ vs AK the list goes on and on.

I am now offically on tilt which hasnt happened in a long time. I have to stop 8tabling, because although I honestly dont think it has much to do with it, it still adds unneeded stress. I ended my streak with 2 3rd place finishes, and then lost yet one more after that.

Time to regroup, back down to the 10s for a while, smoke a ton, and look hard into my play. I feel based on other peoples posts that I am too aggressive on the bubble. I have to find and tweak it slightly, and the only way I know how to do that properly is mathmatically.

Its easy for anyone to blame a losing streak on bad luck, which I feel I have had more then my fair share of.

Taking into account that my ITM for 30s is 38% (even after the losing streak) I shouldnt lose 17 in a row until I have played about 59,500 tourneys based on my ITM stats. I have played 1000 30+3s.

I try very very hard to shrug off every bad streak. This one got to me because it came after a long streak of even play. I am only human after all. I can only take so much stress. Most of the time people say take a break etc..

But I play for a living, and I cant really afford to just stop playing for a while. Despite this woe is me post I am taking the loss very well. I am well bankrolled so I am thankfull for my own preperation.

I will probably be posting some hands that I feel may need some work. I need to put in some serious studying into my bubble play. This is where I am failing more often then anywhere.

chill888
09-17-2004, 04:28 AM
First KUDOs, for quickly dropping down before you do any real bankroll damage.

You say you may be playing too aggressively on the bubble.
I wouldn't be surprised if - due to even being slightly on tilt - you are more willing to push and accept 50 50 ish situations on the bubble more often than is good.

Searately, 38% in not that high an ITM% for someone that plays a lot - and who plays for living expenses. It may be due to the worthwhile sacrifice of 8 tabling. (more profit but less per game), but:

I wonder if you shouldn't spend a while fine tuning your game while playing 2 or 3 at a time (or whatever) in an effort to identify and eliminate some possible leaks and make sure that your "automatic" 8 table strategy is as good as possible. Getting your win rate into the low 40s should not only be very doable, it would reduce future stressful losing streaks.

While 8 tabling is a worthwhuile strategy for some: It seems to me that it is very tough to IMPROVE while 8 tabling. Thinngs are just too fast. You need to be 8 tabling when thyour gameis the finished article.

Just some thoughts:

gl

parappa
09-17-2004, 04:50 AM
Stupid,

I'm not in your league skill-wise, but I found that my bubble game deteriorated in really subtle ways when I switched from 2 to 4-tabling. I think that there are ways that you can be making mistakes that you aren't going to be able to find reviewing hand histories.

These situations almost always come in marginal positions where a reasonable argument could be made for playing the hand either way. For example, this morning I had a reasonably short stack and had T9s in the small blind. I think I had 4 or 5 bbs and it was folded to me. I think on paper that it's pretty marginal whether to push or not here, but due to the fact that I had been playing only one table, I knew the guy would very likely fold if I pushed. When 4-tabling, there's no way I could've known that and I never would've ended up in a "push with any 2" mindset in any situation. As it was, I was more or less happy to push in this spot with any 2 but in any other case I would've likely autofolded this hand.

I was losing a lot at the 10s 4-tabling, and never felt as if i was playing badly. When I finally was faced with one buy-in left before I had to go back to 5s, I played just one, and it didn't seem as hard to get into the money. the suckout factor seemed lower, the "I know I'll get beaten" thing went away. Finally my wife hit me over the head with a brick and I grudgingly looked through my records and was surprised to see that my hourly rate was _higher_ 1-tabling than it was at 4-tabling. It was highest at 2, but 4 was much worse than 1.

As I said, I know that you're a better player than I and I know that you can 4-table in your sleep, but I strongly suspect that your slump has to do with your recent jump from 4 to 8 and not your luck.

Gramps
09-17-2004, 05:53 AM
You're 5 shy of my record of 22. Keep up the good work and maybe someday if you're really lucky... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In 1,500 SNGs I've had streaks of 11, 12, and 22 (that one was brutal and probably tilt-influenced), each in the midst of a longer bad run. I found that the suckouts would get me playing too passively - if I'd won my fair share of coinflips/had my fair share of good hands hold up, there wouldn't have been any streak, even if my marginal hands were getting picked off and beaten...but it would appear that I was playing too aggressive because when your gets called by a better hand and you lose [i]again, it feels like "okay, I can't blame that on a suckout, that one's gotta be my fault. I will really tighten up my pushing stanards, I'm getting too loose."

Then...I'd realize that I always super-shortstacked by the 100/200 level (not a normal occurrence for me) because I was never pushing anything but a great hand...and then I'd have to win one extra coinflip, 60/40, or 40/60 hand to get ITM...and often times when I would get in the money, it would be as the short stack and I'd end up 3rd...

The easiest culprit to point the finger at on a bad SNG streak is the hands where you got in with the worst of it - even if you pushed the exact same hands in the exact same spots during all your great winning streaks...

...which doesn't mean that overpushing can't contribute to a losing streak, my point is simply that while the tendency during a bad run is often to put blame on overaggressiveness, oftentimes it can be the exact opposite. The sting of getting knocked out on the bubble (once again) can make one gunshy.

Drop down to 4 tables and just focus playing a good game and taking satisfaction in that (as hard as it is). Trying to "get it all back" or making drastic changes to your game isn't the solution.

P.S. I 4-table and have to super-focus to play more than two bubble situations simultaneously without totally messing up. No shame in being a 4-tabler for a while like us other mere mortals. The challenge of 8-tabling...well...if you've attacked it with a degree of competitiveness...beware that competitiveness is a double-edged sword, especially in poker. Your results are talking (you previously mentioned you got off to a slow start 8-tabling). Listen to them for a little while, even if only to humor them. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PBaek
09-17-2004, 11:08 AM
I´m experiencing exactly the same thing you are describing.

I can´t believe how absolutely horrific plays I have seen. And so many demoralizing outdraws. In my case this has been going on for 4 days now.

Just to give an example from less than 1 hour ago. Simultaniously on two different tables I´m deal AA and KK. With the AA I reraise all in and is called by AJ. He beats me with a 4 to a flush board. With my KK I raise preflop. Flop is Q-J-rag rainbow. I have just enough left to make potsized bet so I get all in. My opponent shows QJoff.

Then there is all the 3outers suckouts and running into dominating hands even shorthanded.

Bottom line is all that can go wrong will go wrong. I´m playing the same game I always do but it seems Murphys law is kicking in.

I hope things turn for the better soon:-)

regards, PB.

willie
09-17-2004, 11:18 AM
i had a bad night last night too

ventured into the 20+2s with little success

had aces cracked 4 TIMES consecutive by underpairs

once vs kings, jacks, tens and nines

3 were all in preflop, the jacks were all in on a jack high flop.

then ran into kings with aces.

lost about 15 percent of my account last night...it was a biiiiiiiiitch.