PDA

View Full Version : A few interesting/amusing hands from a recent trip

SpaceAce
09-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Actually, it was more of a reverse trip. A good friend of mine flew in last week to visit and we got in lots of poker time. My friend has plenty of money but he's just now learning how not to be a fish so we play the lowest limits wherever we go.

Most of the hands I like to post are hands where I think I did something boneheaded or I am unhappy with some particular aspect of the line I took so feel free to point out hideous playing errors. I will post hand results in a later reply.

Hand #1:
Game: Mirage $3-$6
Table: Loose and semi-passive (someone almost always bets the flop)
Villain: A friendly regular; a short older guy with a thick foreign accent who often wears a blue shirt and a necklace. This player is generally passive.
Question(s): What do you think of my play in general and how many bets do you go on the river?

I get 66 in the small blind and complete after a few limpers.

The flop: 638 rainbow.

I check, a bet comes from one or two players to my left, several callers including the villain in late position. I check-raise, almost everyone calls.

The turn: 3d putting two diamonds out.

I bet, two people call, the villain raises, I reraise, the two players between myself and the villain surprisingly fold, the villain calls.

The river: Kd

I bet, the villain now raises, I reraise and the villain four-bets. I think for a few seconds and confirm with the dealer that raising is now unlimited. I think a few more seconds and just call. Results notwithstanding, I was instantly unhappy with my failure to reraise here but the villain's play looked a little scary to me. In my opinion, the villain in this hand is not a good player but he is not completely oblivious, either. I do not believe he would four-bet me with a rivered backdoor flush.
----------------------------------------

Hand #2:
Game: Excalibur $2-$6 spread limit
Table: Loose and mostly passive (one or two players putting in raises on a regular basis).
Villain: No specific villain in this hand.
Question(s): Does anyone call on the flop hoping to make up the difference later? This table was loose enough that I could expect to extract at least a couple of $6 bets from the other players and quite a few bets if someone had a biggish hand.

I get 3s6s in the blind (one $2 blind in this game). There are several limpers for $2 each and I check my option.

The flop: 25X with one of my suit. The action is checked to a middle position player who bets $5. A couple of people call and I figure myself for no more than five reasonable outs and fold getting ~6:1 (more if players behind me also call but I wasn't sure how many of them would do so).

Hand #3:
Game: Mirage $3/$6
Table: Loose but going through a slightly tighter-than-usual phase. Passive but people are betting and raising their legitimate hands. My friend and I have been running over the table to a pretty serious degree and a lot of the other players (including the villain in this hand) are showing reluctance to mix it up with us.
Villain: A poor player who limps a lot and likes to call down with marginal (that's being generous) hands as long as the heat doesn't get turned up. Has average-to-loose raising standards (AA-JJ, maybe TT and 99, AK-AT, possibly smaller suited Aces, KQ, KJ).
Question(s): Who likes the pre-flop call? I am not getting odds to flop a set but I know I can extract double-sized bets on the turn if I do hit my hand. I also thought I had a fair chance of taking the pot unimproved with the right flop although I wasn't really counting on that.

I get 66 in the small blind. Three players limp to the villain in late position who raises. I call in the small blind, the limpers call and we take a flop.

The flop: 9KK rainbow.

I check, everyone checks all the way around to the villain who bets, I check-raise.

I fully expected to lose the limpers; none of them seemed the least bit thrilled by the flop. If the villain reraised me, I was gone. If the villain did not reraise me, I expected him to call and fold to my turn bet.

Hand #4:
The game: Mirage $3/$6
The table: Extremely loose but not particularly passive.
The villain: "Lou". I've seen him before but don't know much about his play.
Question(s): Should I pay off this river raise?

I get AQo in early position. I raise and get a couple of cold-callers including Lou in late position.

The flop: QT5 rainbow.

I bet and get two callers including Lou.

The turn: Offsuit blank

I bet and only Lou calls.

The river: Offsuit 5.

I bet and Lou raises.

Hmm, I never got around to the really amusing hands (especially the one where I flopped 5555) but I am tired of typing.

SpaceAce

SpaceAce
09-18-2004, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry, next time I will remember to put Ed Miller's name in the thread title.

SpaceAce

Trix
09-18-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not believe he would four-bet me with a rivered backdoor flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not ? A6d makes sense to me. K3 also I guess. Atleast one more raise.
Bet the flop btw, loose players like to call and someone may raise, allowing you to get 3 in.

2) I fold too

3) Fine, assuming that he would autobet the flop.

4) yes, you beat Qx,KJ,J9, thats enough.

SpaceAce
09-18-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not believe he would four-bet me with a rivered backdoor flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not ? A6d makes sense to me. K3 also I guess. Atleast one more raise.
Bet the flop btw, loose players like to call and someone may raise, allowing you to get 3 in.

2) I fold too

3) Fine, assuming that he would autobet the flop.

4) yes, you beat Qx,KJ,J9, thats enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply.

I normally bet the flop in hand #1 but I felt I could trap a few players for two bets because two of the players to my left were betting most flops. At the river, the older gentleman who was still in the pot with me was pretty passive. I didn't think he would go four bets on the river with just a flush. Even so, I was immediately unhappy with my failure to reraise.

I was pretty sure the bet in hand #3 was a follow-through auto-bet. Of course, he could get stubborn with 88 and still beat me but I think he was a bit afraid of me.

I guess hand #4 is a pretty clear call against a player I don't know too well.

SpaceAce

SpaceAce
09-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Results:

Hand #1: My opponent turned over K3 for a smaller boat.
Hand #2: The turn completed the gutshot for the hand I had folded and gave me an open-ended straight flush draw. The river made my straight-flush. Sadly, you get neither hat nor wheelspin when you've folded your straight-flush.
Hand #3: Everyone folded around to the bettor who let it go right there.
Hand #4: Lou did, of course, have a five.

SpaceAce