PDA

View Full Version : Leaks/Plugs/Goals

sublime
09-16-2004, 05:31 PM
I have been thinking about my game this week and what I need to improve on. I feel my game is decent and I can beat mid-limit live games and 3/6 on-line with confidence. However I also know that I have "leaks" that are not going to get better by doing nothing but thinking about them. I have them, and I need to do enough legwork to correct them.

So that is the point of this thread. I am going to post what I feel are some issues that are affecting my bottom line and the actions I will take to correct them.

#1 Focus- This is a tough one for me. My mind wanders a lot, and to be honest even though I am aware of it, I don't do too much to prevent it. I can get away with this to a certain degree with the aid of PokerTracker, but I could take such better notes on my opponents if I just paid better attention to each and EVERY hand that is played at my table.

Possible solutions:

A) Count the size of EVERY pot when I play live(stole this one from Sfer I think) not just the ones I am in and count the amount of players in the pot when I am online. Of course this is not easy, as most of us multi-table, but just the conscience effort of doing so should yield results.

B) Stop reading/posting on the forums while I am playing. I shouldn't mix practice with play. I mean how would it look if NFL teams were running wind sprints during breaks in the action? Not only that but I have two tables going, and I am reading and posting advice/thoughts at the same time? How much focus can I give to either of these activities if I am doing both at the same time?

#2 Overplaying overcards- Yes I am an official member of this club. It is not a frequent occurrence, but something I am still guilty of occasionally (mostly when I am running cold). My main issue with this is when I raise out of the blinds with AK/AQ, whiff the flop and yet proceed to bet into a field of loose/passive players.

Possible solutions-

A) Don't do it anymore. Yeah it actually is that simple. I feel my main issue with overcards is a mental one (pride/ego) Just because I may hold a substantial equity edge preflop, does not mean I am going to hold one postflop. I KNOW this, yet let the "this is MY pot" thinking get in the way when a session is not running the way I would like it. Yeah, there is a word for this: TILT!

#3 Using the "image" excuse to make loose calls on the flop. Nate pointed this out to me last week, and the hand in which he was responding to was one that happens frequently. You know, when you hold 88/99, raise preflop, and A/K/Q falls on the flop. You bet, get raised, there is a coldcaller and you justify calling because you don't want to "look" weak. This is chip donation. PERIOD.

Solution-

A) Again, an easy one. Stop doing it. Analyze the board, my opponent(s) and the pot and if I don't have the odds/ and or draw, FOLD. Image? If we had an "image" these fish wouldn't be calling our preflop raise with K8o in the first place.

Well this is the stuff I need/want to work on. Anybody have any additional thoughts? Anybody want to share what they will be working on in the next month or so

BigEndian
09-16-2004, 05:34 PM
#2 Overplaying overcards- Yes I am an official member of this club. It is not a frequent occurrence, but something I am still guilty of occasionally (mostly when I am running cold). My main issue with this is when I raise out of the blinds with AK/AQ, whiff the flop and yet proceed to bet into a field of loose/passive players.

I'm a twice sworn blood brother of this club.

- Jim

spamuell
09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Good post, plugging leaks is what we're here for. One question:

[ QUOTE ]
Count the size of EVERY pot (stole this one from Sfer I think) not just the ones I am in. Of course this is not easy, as most of us multi-table, but just the conscience effort of doing so should yield results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems clear you're talking about online, the pot size is on the screen anyway. What do you mean?

sublime
09-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Seems clear you're talking about online, the pot size is on the screen anyway. What do you mean?

Yea that is more for live play. I guess I should have worded it by saying count how many players are in each pot. Something subtle, but effective.

spamuell
09-16-2004, 05:45 PM
I guess I should have worded it by saying count how many players are in each pot.

Absolutely. The number of times I don't notice a player is in a pot online is not insignificant. It's weird, I look to see who has cards and make a bet and then notice that there was an extra player that I somehow missed.

sublime
09-16-2004, 05:54 PM
I look to see who has cards and make a bet and then notice that there was an extra player that I somehow missed.

I have done that live. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

sfer
09-16-2004, 06:04 PM
I just count the pot when I'm playing live, not in a hand, and I can feel my awareness going slack. It usually snaps me out of my daydreaming, gives me something to focus on and forces me to watch the action more closely.

GrunchCan
09-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Great post. It's something I think about too, but from a different point of view. My perspective is that I have a lot to learn, and I don't even know what most of it is. In other words, how can you identify the leaks in your game that you don't even know exist?

sublime
09-16-2004, 06:29 PM
In other words, how can you identify the leaks in your game that you don't even know exist?

Read/Play/Read/Play/Post

lather, rinse and REPEAT /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bigdaddydvo
09-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Agree-terrific post that gets everyone to take a good, hard look at their play.

One of my techniques is that I wrote out a list of my "leaks" that I keep next to me when I'm playing. Just does basic stuff like telling me not to overvalue garbage hands like K-Jo or A-To, not to make too many loose calls from the blinds, and when to give my pocket jacks up in a 5 way pot with 2 overcards on the flop. Nice to have it in front of you when your finger is itching to make a call that you know in your mind isn't correct.

jrobb83
09-16-2004, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I look to see who has cards and make a bet and then notice that there was an extra player that I somehow missed.

I have done that live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done this live too, but I think it is easier to do live, where players can tuck their cards behind their chips, the dealer blocks the view from the 1 seat to 9 seat, etc. Online there is simply no excuse since the cards are sitting there right in your face. But that still doesn't mean I don't do it every so often.

chesspain
09-16-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

B) Stop reading/posting on the forums while I am playing. I shouldn't mix practice with play. I mean how would it look if NFL teams were running wind sprints during breaks in the action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...although I did read this while in the midst of playing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif However, if I only read these posts when I wasn't playing then I'ld be wasting even more of my life than I'm wasting already.

joker122
09-16-2004, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

B) Stop reading/posting on the forums while I am playing. I shouldn't mix practice with play. I mean how would it look if NFL teams were running wind sprints during breaks in the action? Not only that but I have two tables going, and I am reading and posting advice/thoughts at the same time? How much focus can I give to either of these activities if I am doing both at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had to stop doing this now that I moved to shorthanded where reads are much more important. I'm beginning to realize that it costed me alot when I played full.

joker122
09-16-2004, 06:53 PM
I feel like it's alot easier to make that mistake live.

spamuell
09-16-2004, 07:27 PM
I just count the pot when I'm playing live, not in a hand, and I can feel my awareness going slack. It usually snaps me out of my daydreaming, gives me something to focus on and forces me to watch the action more closely.

I will keep this in mind if I ever play limit live, hopefully I'll get the chance. Unfortunately, as I've only played pot limit so far (the poker is the most lacking thing about London), I am always aware of the pot size when playing a hand and I just have to concentrate when not playing because reads are far more important in big bet.