PDA

View Full Version : College poker.

Airpoaneman
09-16-2004, 04:28 PM
I ran into a kid in a different dorm from me and we started talking..then poker came up some how. He said he is like the best in the whole school(i was thinking dear lord...this has to be a joke).

He said he was playing that night so I checked it out. They had 9 people 10 buck buy in, no limit, winner takes all.

Is that EV...especially if you arent sure you will play more the one...i think it would be fun but i dont know. The fkin ante's are 1 buck..and you have 10 dollars. I didnt play that night...what do you guys think.

theWhale
09-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Antes are a dollar?

So on the first hand there is more money on the table than you have?

Um all in or fold on that deal. Thats not poker, thats a crapshoot. Show up late and buy in for 100-200 there should be tons of money on the table by then and you can kill them.

oumagic
09-16-2004, 05:05 PM
I think he might not have explained the game to you properly. We always had $10 buy-in for 1000 chips and you could have 1 re-buy in the 1st hour and a half for another $10 and 1000 more chips if you busted out. It was no limit hold em but if you only get 10 chips, that would blow.

jmark
09-16-2004, 05:43 PM
I'd definitely play in that game. But then again I'm addicted to poker because my parents taught me to gamble at an early age. If you bust out make sure you go double or nothing.

Riverboat Willie
09-16-2004, 09:50 PM
I'd say go ahead and play. From the way you describe it, it's pretty much just luck anyways, so if he is the best player in the whole school, his advantage won't matter in this game. I too am in college and we play at least 3 or 4 times a week (usually just $5 buy in) One thing i would reccomend if you're going to play at school, is to stretch out your pay table a little. For a 10 person game, give 3rd his money back, double 2nd's money, and give first the rest. That way more of your poor college friends can afford to play the next time, but the winner still walks away with a pretty good haul. That's just my $0.02. Also, i'm thinking about building a dorm table, probably something that would fold, or fit under my futon... what do you think of that?

Mark "Riverboat Willie" Nelson

hmm... for some reason my signature doesn't want to work. Had to edit this one...

emp1346
09-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Unless you have money to blow, stay away from this game.

The way you described it, it's worse than any game I've ever played. Not only is it bad because you get TEN chips, but you're not even playing with blinds!!! Average game length must be like, an hour at best. In an 8-10 person game, at least 2 or three people will be out with the antes before the deck makes a round.

If you're looking for a game on campus to play in, my suggestion is to shop around.

I have about seven different games I know of around campus, but I only play the ones I know are good. For examples, there's a $5 buy-in hold 'em tourney style, second recovers buy-in winner takes all that's about 10 guys. I play it because it's soft and low-stakes.

On the other extreme is a game that I only wish I had the money to sit at all the time. This group of about 5-6 guys play PL hold 'em with blinds of $5/$10. Just a bit too rich for my blood.

Typically I play $10, $15 or $20 buy-ins with guys I know. But I'm sure you can find multiple games around campus, you just gotta decide what's good (the one you described is not.

Airpoaneman
09-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Yea, I played with some friends a crazy game of blind mands bluff real quick, then about 30 minutes of holdem poker. Then this one kid comes walking through to use the computer lab and wants to make a 10 buck tourney. So I agree since they are my chips.
$10.00 buy in
30 chips
1/2 blinds
4 handed
Winner takes all
Opponents:
James: Kid who we had to BEG to play because we didnt have many people.
Pravin: Kid from india who was pretty good at poker, but easy to push over if he didnt set+.
Tai: The kid that walked in and started the game.

He was the average know it all poker kid, acted like he knew everything, did all the wild hand motions when he delt, etc.

I was first one knocked out in the 1st tournament. I had straight, James had straight. But james pulled 4th community club for flush on the river.

But the first hand I saw i had KK, and Tai had 10 7 suited, he bet preflop(4) i raised(10). He said he wanted to call, showed me, and I mucked my cards.
I am going to a school I that I knew no one at the begining of school because it is in a different state but have made a few friends, so I had about 13 buddies standing around us so I was no worried about him getting away if he was going to run if he lost or cheated. But that KK really worried me.
James went all in with KJ on flop of Q 8 4, beat Tai (JJ) runner runner straight.
James called all in with AK on flop of J 3 7 to beat Tai (j9) with runner runner straight.

2nd game,

AA, flopped 7 J J

James bet 5, I called, Pravin called.

Turn J

James checked, I bet 4, Pravin called, James called.

River Q

James bet 6, I raised to 12, Pravin folded, James went all in, I called.
James showed K7, " I dont think you can beat King high"
I said, " I havent bluffed all night bud, why would you think that." showed AA.

Then doubled pravine up when it was 88 vs AJsuited. he pulled trips.

I took Tai out, then took pravin out after a long battle.

+$20.00.

Is the 30 chip a little bit better for tournament poker, I know it should be like 1000 but for 4 handed is that respectable?

And what would you do if you thought some one stacked the deck, keep watching, if you are semi-convinced(if he loses) let him go and he doesnt come back? But if you are %100 convinced, what then?

emp1346
09-17-2004, 10:14 PM
ok...

first, when we have small, just for fun, short-handed NLHE tourneys of about four or five people, we generally start with about 75 chips, blinds 1/2, double blinds when we lose a player and every twenty when it hits heads up...

while 30 chips BB 2 is definately a lot better than 10 chips with antes of 1, I still think you should at least double the starting chips...

now ideally, of course, you're right... you wanna start with 10,000 or so and have set blind levels and such...

now, as for stacking the deck... this can be easily avoided by following these basic house rules:
<ul type="square"> use only one deck instead of two... even though two helps the game go by faster, it helps facilitate cheating
required that the player sitting CO (to the right of the dealer) cuts the deck
use a cut card... this can either be a real plastic cut card or just a joker from a different colored deck
dealer cannot hold the deck during play, only while dealing cards to players or community
[/list]

if you follow these rules, it becomes pretty difficult to cheat...