PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Call or fold

RobGW
09-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Level 1 of Party $10 SNG. I am in BB with a monster T5d. UTG raises to $45. 4 players cold call. SB folds. Who would call here and why or why not?

kleraudio
09-16-2004, 05:24 PM
fold, save your chips. what can you hope for on the flop??

just my opinion though /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Jim

poboy
09-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Would you normally play this hand ? Probably not right, so why would you invest any more chips. You need to forget about the money you already put in, as it is no longer yours. This is how I approach the blinds, and I'm not sure if this is correct . If it's a hand I would normally call with out of the blind, than I will call a small raise with it and only continue if the flop hits me really hard. If it's not anything I would normally play than I won't even call 2 more cents. Of course with 5 other players in, you only have to spend T25 to possibly win t255, that's 10:1 but I'm not sure if your hand is that likely to win.

ddubois
09-16-2004, 06:56 PM
so why would you invest any more chips

Well, that should be obvious - the pot is laying 240:30. So I can see how it looks tempting.

IIRC, Hero will flop two pair or trips about 5% of the time, and a flush draw about 10% of the time? The problem is, sometimes the flop will come AT5 and you'll lose your ass to an AT or an AK that catches/counterfeits, and other times you'll chase a flush draw and miss, or drop your stack to a higher flush.

If you had straight possibilites, then maybe. I would probably call with T8s, but I think you can pass on this one.

willie
09-16-2004, 07:34 PM
fold.

you need a miracle flop to be strong to this hand.

i'm weak tight out of the blinds, but on party this tends to be good for my win rate

poboy
09-16-2004, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so why would you invest any more chips

Well, that should be obvious - the pot is laying 240:30. So I can see how it looks tempting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did make mention of the great pot odds he was getting, and they are even better than 8:1. There are 5 players with 45 in the pot the SB has 10 and the hero already has 20 in, I figure this to be a little better than 10:1. What I wasn't too sure about was whether or not those were good enough odds to play that hand. There really isn't much information about what to do in the blinds. Should pot odds be a huge factor? Perhaps you or another experienced player/poster could clear this up?

NotMitch
09-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Fold. I would fold for even a min raise here.

RobGW
09-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks ddubious. I was looking at the obvious pot odds and thinking I could win a big pot or fold if I dont hit. I don't normally defend my blinds with crap but this I thought was a good opportunity to hit a big one. What I didn't take into consideration is the points you brought up about hitting the flop and still losing. BTW I did call, hit my flush draw, and someone went all in on the flop to ruin any odds so I had to fold.

reecelights
09-17-2004, 01:14 AM
Fold. I used to make a lot of Level 1 calls thinking "It's only 30 chips." Problem is, four of those calls in the first level and you've lost close to 15% of your stack hoping for a miracle. You've read the other posts about catching and still losing.

chill888
09-17-2004, 05:21 AM
Strange question lol Fold! If you had KJo you should still fold. (name a flop you like with KJ against 5 players).

TIGHT to start much, much, much tighter if you are considering limiping here with that hand.,

The once and future king
09-17-2004, 06:14 AM
Have to disagree with you there chill.

This isnt a question of domination, but pure pot odds. He is getting 10:1 from the pot. A call here with KJ is allmost obligotory in my book. Its only 30 chips so also the implied odds are big.

The key to success is to only play the flop if it hits hard.

chill888
09-17-2004, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have to disagree with you there chill.

This isnt a question of domination, but pure pot odds. He is getting 10:1 from the pot. A call here with KJ is allmost obligotory in my book. Its only 30 chips so also the implied odds are big.

The key to success is to only play the flop if it hits hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

You limp with KJ against 5 others. You hit flop hard and someone bets before you:

KJ10? Now what?
K102 Now what?
Q107? Now what?
KQ8? Now what?
JJQ? now what (ok RAISE lol)
J107? Now what?
K109?
AKJ?
AK2?

They are all hands designed to make you go broke and it's still early and I could use the 30 (especially in a party style structure). You may be right Pasty, but you need to be a very good post flop player.

The once and future king
09-17-2004, 06:29 AM
Not many of the flops you mention are exactly hitting hard. Quite softly infact.

Id be looking for.

TQA /images/graemlins/grin.gif (The implied odds on this are huge)
xKK
xJJ
xKJ

Those are the only flops I would consider playing.

chill888
09-17-2004, 06:39 AM
fair enough lol You are a good post flop player

... most others would be burning away chips with 2nd best hands. My point really was that it's rarely worth playing trouble hands - because they are trouble hands.

Stoneii
09-17-2004, 07:40 AM
I haven't read all posts so forgive me if it's been covered. Even if the guy didn't take away your odds with an all-in on the flop, you may still well hit the flush and come second (T high) with so many in the pot.

His all-in may well have been to protect top pair or even on the come himself with the Ace of the suit.

stoneii

The once and future king
09-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Which all in might that be.

I think you might have the wrong thread.

Stoneii
09-17-2004, 08:03 AM
No he said he called and folded on flop cos someone went all-in

The once and future king
09-17-2004, 08:19 AM
"Level 1 of Party $10 SNG. I am in BB with a monster T5d. UTG raises to $45. 4 players cold call. SB folds. Who would call here and why or why not? "

Ok above is the original post. Please point out where an all in is mentioned. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

happybhoy
09-17-2004, 09:36 AM
"Thanks ddubious. I was looking at the obvious pot odds and thinking I could win a big pot or fold if I dont hit. I don't normally defend my blinds with crap but this I thought was a good opportunity to hit a big one. What I didn't take into consideration is the points you brought up about hitting the flop and still losing. BTW I did call, hit my flush draw, and someone went all in on the flop to ruin any odds so I had to fold."

I think this was what he was talking about.

BTW - Personally I'd fold, I would play KJ in the same position though, with a view to folding to any bets if I don't make a great hand