PDA

View Full Version : Why is it people love to talk about race, etc...?

BeerMoney
09-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Seriously, wtf? I really am tired of people wondering if they are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc........ Who CARES!!

Sometimes people are so afraid of being racist that they wouldn't lock their doors in front of a bunch of black guys wearing bandanas on their heads in fear that people might think they are being racist/prejudicial......... Who cares, those people are scary looking, they aren't the same as nerds walking out of a building at MIT.. No offense Ed.

Are black people loud and obnoxious? Ya, some of them are, and this probably carries over to the athletic fields. Who cares though.. and if you'd just get some balls and tell 'em to shut the hell up, they might actually listen to you.

Do Asian people suck at driving and have small cocks? I don't know, there might be some truth to it, but I don't care either.

Are gay people gay? Yes, but who cares.. Their dick won't end up in you if you don't let them, so don't worry about it.

Are women douchebags? Yes, but just make sure you find a decent one.

Are Jewish people cheap? Ya, some of them probably are, but again, who fkking cares, we don't need to talk about whether or not they deserve this lable all day long.

Are white guys to into alcohol and drugs, suck at dancing, and wish their dicks were bigger? Yes, but who cares!

Do Indian people stink? Yes, but not if they take a shower.

We're all individuals capable of doing great and lousy things. Everybody has charachter flaws, and these may or may not be more common in certain groups.

Let's move and talk about other things.

M2d
09-16-2004, 04:28 PM
spoken like a true member of the majority

BeerMoney
09-16-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spoken like a true member of the majority

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, the point is that people need to move on and live their life, and stop worrying about actions and behaviors of others that they have no control over.

You know what, I can't stand NBA players. You know what I do about it? I stop watching their games! I don't try and make a correlation between their behavior and their race. I don't care if there is or isn't one there. And, if there was a correlation, I wouldn't care what the cause was either.

Dominic
09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
For the most part, Beer, I agree with you...and laughed while reading your post! Like you, I don't really care if someone is black, white, yellow, purple or polka-dot.

It was just this one instance where I'm watching some games and realized most of the guys who annoyed me with their juvenile posturing were black, and it made me wonder if it was my own bias or were black athletes really more aggressive and arrogant than white ones, in general?

It was a simple question on my part...I don't wonder if I'm racist, I don't care what race, religion, gender, someone is, or where they come from. And I'm not one of those politically correct guys who bend backwards trying to prove how NOT racist he is...I think my original post proves that...

anyhow...that's my stance...and if people want to lable me racist or scared of black men or whatever, they're more than welcome to.

M2d
09-16-2004, 05:01 PM
By stating a stereotype, confirming that you think there's truth to it, and qualifying your answer with a "but..." you are propagating the steotype. you're implying that they are true, but you're too big of a human being to let them affect your judgement.
you may be have a large heart and a pure mind, but by accepting these stereotypes as true and citing examples from your everyday life, you are, unintentionally or not, casting judgement on entire races and groups of people with a single blow.

On the subway, i sat next to the smelliest person I've ever seen. I guess white guys are smelly.

As I got off the subway, I passed a degenerate wino who loooked hopped up. He was doing some stupid drug induced dance on the sidewalk. I guess black guys are substance abusers and can't dance.

As I walked down the street, I almost got hit by some maniac driver making an illegal left turn. judging by his getup I don't think Jewish people can drive.

When dodging the car, I leapt right into a street vendor who was haggling with a customer over some P.O.S. handbag. The customer wanted to save two bucks on the price and wasn't giving in. That must mean that Asian people are cheap.

and on and on.

The big argument when talking about stereotypes starts with "Stereotypes may be wrong, but they started with some grain of truth..." If there were any single action or trait that could be attributed to a single race, that statement could hold some water.
As it is, though, I think stereotypes stem from fear. Someone is different than me, so I have to find something to show this more explicitly. The stereotyper usually does this, not realizing that these traits that he's ridiculing are found in his own race, and, often, in himself.

BeerMoney
09-16-2004, 05:07 PM
I see nothing wrong with what you've said.

I just don't think we all have to sit around and worry about whether or not we are all bigots!

Also, we don't have to try and deny a stereotype to the point that it may cause us harm.. eg, you're on a plain with a bunch of Arabs, acting like morons, it would probably be a good idea to get the hell off of the plane, rather than be afraid someone might think you're racist. Don't worry about that person who calls you a racist, I'll say you're smart.

Hammerstein
09-16-2004, 05:36 PM
I just recently registered with this site(this is my first post,this forum caught my eye), and beermoney, on top of an above average username, u make some really great points. Stereotypes are around for a reason. They do not represent everyone in a particular group, but in general are based on some content of fact.

For example, about a month ago, i was at a family function, and we were talking about the olympic team. The mens relay race was the topic, and how they kinda dropped the ball on one of the handoffs, and if they had a smooth transaction, they would have won the gold. Somehow race comes into the topic. I simply state "black people are faster than white people." I get a death stare from a girl at the table, snapping that she used to date a black person, and that i was a racist. Needless to say i banged heads with her for about 10 minutes straight. People these days are so overprotective of what racism is, and how even mentioning the word black puts you in the same category as a racist. Everyone tries to be soo pc these days, they are forgetting what rasism really is. Is what i said a stereotype? Absolutely. Not every black person is faster than every white person. Is what I said true. Yes, in general, the top olympic sprinters are black. Don't believe me?, think I am racist?, check out an olympic sprinting eventfor yourself, get your facts straight, and then make a logical decision, based on what u have seen, instead of what people around you believe as politically correct. Each individual was given a mind of his/her own, and it should be used to analyze situations, and draw his/her own conclusions, not what your favorite movie star thinks, or not what your spouse believes.

I just thought i would put a post up, and this was a great topic to address.

p.s. if you are going to verbally attack me, please have some concrete statements to base your argument on. It is painfull to read and address incoherent babble on an internet forum.

Dominic
09-16-2004, 05:40 PM
I understand what you're saying, MD...but the truth of the matter is some races of people do have a higher instance of *BLANK* than others...

If I say a greyhound is faster than a pit-bull, you wouldn't argure with me, would you? But if I say black guys seem to be better sprinters than white guys, suddenly I'm propogating a stereo-type.

Now COULD a pit bull beat a greyhound in a race? Yes. And a white guy can be the fastest man on earth - just like that guy at the Olympics this year - I can't remember his name - the young white american who won the 400 meters and anchored the relay...

But is it wrong to say that on the whole black guys are faster than white guys? I don't think so...look at the NFL...why are most receivers and cornerbacks black? The reason is either something incredibly complex having to do with socio-economic realites or something simple like, "black men, on the whole, have more short-twitch muscle mass, which would make them faster than the average male."

Personally, I don't know which is correct...or if both are wrong....or if it's a combination of the two...

Anyway...thanks for the thoughts....

Bez
09-16-2004, 06:41 PM
I see where you're coming from. The (currently in power) left in Britain has made talking about immigration a racist act. It's a load of bollocks. They don't realise that an already overcrowed country can't keep on letting in more and more people, and that it's nothing to do with race. The race card is played far too often.

Hammerstein
09-16-2004, 08:16 PM
The race card is played way too often. It really bothers me, when i here stuff like "the first black baseball player to do this," or "the first white guy drafted in the 2002 nba draft" or when the redskins went to the playoffs a while back, and they had the black quarterback, Doug Williams i believe, "the first black quarterback to win a superbowl." It pisses me off, that race even has to be brought into the converstation at all. Why can't it just be "the greatest golfer in the game", instead of "the greatest black golfer in the game."

mmbt0ne
09-16-2004, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the most part, Beer, I agree with you...and laughed while reading your post! Like you, I don't really care if someone is black, white, yellow, purple or polka-dot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell you what, if one of them polka-dot MFers ever sat down next to me there'd be a whoopin' in order.