PDA

View Full Version : Should I have bet larger (flop and turn)?

Nacarno
09-16-2004, 03:48 PM
<font color="red">Some background, I had just busted the villain in this hand with a rivered straight so I was thinking he might be steaming a little. Also, the rest of the table was pretty passive.</font>

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($50)
Button ($18.25)
SB ($49.50)
BB ($95.65)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($85.55)</font>
UTG+1 ($67.30)
MP1 ($8)
<font color="C00000">MP2 ($20)</font>
MP3 ($8.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

<font color="red">I didn't have much fear of a raise before the flop, but if there was a major one I would have folded.</font>

Flop: ($4) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $2.50, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

<font color="red">Bingo. I'm not sure why I only bet $2.50 here. I think I was hoping that a big Q would come over the top but in retrospect I probably should have at least potted it.</font>

Turn: ($9) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP2 calls $5.

<font color="red">Ok, so here's the real question. I don't like this turn card much, but figure I can't give a free card here in case someone has a Q with another spade. My plan was to fold to an over the top raise. Did I bet too little here?</font>

River: ($19) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $19
<font color="green">Main Pot: $19, between Hero and MP2.</font>

<font color="red">Like I said before, I think my flop bet was dumb, but what do you think of the bet on the turn? What do you put the villain on here? Results to follow...</font>

Implied Evens
09-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Holding trips with 2 spades on the flop, I'm betting the pot. Letting any of those guys draw 1 or 2 to the flush with your invitingly small bet (1/2 pot) is the main issue here. After the third spade hits the board you just have to bet enough to make it look as though you aren't as scared as you should be, and ride it out.

I put the villain on T8 (one spade in there) He hangs in on the turn as his hand improves with the fourth spade and now a double gutshot to boot. On the river spade he's afraid that you have the J, K, or A of spades in your hand along with the Q he thinks you have for TP on the flop.

How'd I do? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nacarno
09-16-2004, 07:44 PM
He had Jh Ts so that guess was very close. In my haste I wasn't even considering the possibility of a straight AND flush draw. Because of that I was only betting half the pot so that they'd have incorrect odds for calling (with one of the two draws) and yet still put money in the pot thinking they had more outs than they did against my set.

Should I always be looking out for both draws against one player or generally is this ok? (talking mainly about the turn)