PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping jacks

Azhrarn
09-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed). If I had reads, I've forgotten them.

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Who 3-bets here? I'll usually three-bet with jacks, but the combination of bad position and multiple cold-callers cowed me into calling.

Flop: (12 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

I thought there was a small chance I had the best hand, and a small chance I had the best draw, so I called. Who likes betting out here? Check-raising? Folding?

Turn: (8.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (13.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Bleh?

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

In retrospect, I played this so passively because I couldn't decide if I had a draw or a made hand, or possibly neither.
Anyone have a better line for me?

Malcom Reynolds
09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who 3-bets here? I'll usually three-bet with jacks, but the combination of bad position and multiple cold-callers cowed me into calling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Small stakes quoting time:
[ QUOTE ]
You are on the button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gifJ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Two players limp, and someone in middle position raises. The player on your right cold-calls. What should you do?

Answer: Reraise. Many people play pocket jacks timidly. They fear an unfavourable flop, such as one or two overcards and no jack. ... Pocket jacks are a premium holding, and win far more than their share against four loose opponents. ... You will flop three undercards a third of the time and a set an additional twelve percent of the time.[1]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you've got the 3rd nut flush draw and two outs to a jack in a large pot. I don't think folding is an option here.

[1] Miller, Skalansky, Malmuth, Small Stakes Hold'em, Two Plus Two Publishing, pg. 259.

crockett
09-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Holy Tight Weak Batman!

I would 3-bet pre-flop

Flop:
Bet the flop/call a raise/if it came back to me 3-bet..I don't know...depends on who stayed and who didn't/If it came back to me 4-bet, I'd fold.

It would be so different if you bet the flop so the rest of the line is hard to figure.

Am I a LAG?

Azhrarn
09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
The book situation is a bit different. Button v. SB, one coldcaller v. two. I'd always 3-bet Jacks on the button, but I'm tighter from the blinds. Maybe too tight, I'm not sure.

BTW, nice name/avatar. I loved that show. Can't wait for the movie...
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Malcom Reynolds
09-16-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The book situation is a bit different. Button v. SB, one coldcaller v. two. I'd always 3-bet Jacks on the button, but I'm tighter from the blinds. Maybe too tight, I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
The situation is different, but the principles are the same. You will win more than your share, so you should 3-bet and put money in the pot when your equity is this high. Cold callers should make you feel more comfortable. People tend to re-raise hands like AA, KK, QQ. So you have no specific reason to believe you are up against a large pocket pair. So if they are cold calling with hands like 77, AJ, you have them dominated. And AQ/AK you are still ahead. The small chance that you are beat, you could still could hit a set.

I think that this is a clear 3-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, nice name/avatar. I loved that show. Can't wait for the movie...

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. And somehow I thought the idea of Captain Mal playing poker seemed to fit very well. April is too far away...

MoreWineII
09-16-2004, 06:01 PM
I'd be tempted to 3-bet the river. Button really just called all this way with a flopped flush?

Azhrarn
09-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Button had two pair, Qc6c. MP2 had KcKh. MHIG. No idea if UTG or CO had a better flush draw.