PDA

View Full Version : nugget vs monte carlo

kantu
09-16-2004, 03:27 PM
i'm planning a trip to vegas with my wife who is also a poker player, and have thought about staying downtown (the golden nugget) for the first time. i was looking for a comparison of downtown (nugget, shoe and plaza) vs. playing on the strip (bellagio, mirage, monte carlo) sort of thing. i am worried that there might not be much action downtown. ultimitly, i'd like to find a game with drunk touristy blackjack tv poker watchers.

we have played and stayed at the mirage and bellagio and enjoyed it. my wife likes to play where we stay so i was thinking of the monte carlo for something new if we stay on the strip . we are both low limit players (3-6 to 5-10).

thanks in advance

midas
09-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Monte has 2-4, 4-8 and NL games when I played there last week - room was cramped and crowded. Go back to the Mirage, it was the most friendly and well run place on my LV trip last week.

NateDog
09-19-2004, 02:36 PM
For what it's worth. I actually liked The Horseshoe. Being a low limit (2-4) guy myself, they spread a few tables. I read somewhere on here that tourists wanna play where the WSOP is, so it's pretty loose. I played at Luxor and Excal on my last trip too. Luxor had one 2-4 table on a Friday night. Excal has some spread limit (2-6) games, and quite a few more tables. I hear the buffet is pretty bad though!

Eder
09-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Best thing at Excaliber buffet is the dinner rolls...was sad

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-19-2004, 03:37 PM
For softness of games and exposure of cocktail waitresses, nothing beats Mandalay. Excalibur also has very soft games, but the drinks are watery and the waitresses more covered up. I stayed at Monte Carlo and the poker room was nice, but lacked the general fluffy softness of Excalibur or Mandalay.

steamboatin
09-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Avoid the Excalibur's buffet at all costs. It looks really good but it was a severe disapointment.