PDA

View Full Version : 22 on the button.

TripleH68
09-16-2004, 02:01 PM
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Everyone play these starters to a raise? How many callers do you like to have? How did I do post-flop?

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

River: (13.66 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 17.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 has Ks Ah (flush, ace high).
Hero has 2d 2s (full house, twos full of queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 17.66 BB. </font>

scotnt73
09-16-2004, 02:07 PM
i fold preflop to a raise with no other callers without a second thought.

Garland
09-16-2004, 02:29 PM
I think you did just fine.

Garland

Piiop
09-16-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you did just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You agree with the cold-call preflop?

Garland
09-16-2004, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 folds, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a cold-calling player in between the raiser and hero on the button. Normally it's a raise or fold scenario, but a pocket pair is awesome. Button is awesome. I like a cold-call here.

Garland

Homer
09-16-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the players in this game aren't nutty enough to make calling two cold preflop against a raiser and a coldcaller correct.

How many times your preflop investment do you expect to earn, on average, when you flop a set?

-- Homer

elindauer
09-16-2004, 02:35 PM
WHY ARE YOU SLOWPLAYING THE FLOP?????????

Really bad decision. You can get a ton of action from a queen, trap a flush draw, etc. The best part is that your raise will not frighten a queen on this 2 flush board, they'll almost certainly put you on a flush draw and make sure you don't get a free card on the turn, so you'll still get to jack it up on the turn. If the flush comes home, you make even more. Don't slowplay there. No no no no no.

my 2 cents.
Eric

elindauer
09-16-2004, 02:37 PM
As to your preflop call, it's probably wrong heads up with a raiser, with few people left to coldcall behind you.

my 2 cents.
Eric

Homer
09-16-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2 folds, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a cold-calling player in between the raiser and hero on the button. Normally it's a raise or fold scenario, but a pocket pair is awesome. Button is awesome. I like a cold-call here.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally you're raising or folding with 22? I don't think anyone is arguing for three-betting here. The decision is to coldcall or fold.

Any pocket pair is not awesome against a raise and a single coldcaller in a PStars 3/6 game. You're not going to make enough times your preflop investment after the flop to make the coldcall +EV.

Tell me why the button is meaningful in this situation. The button doesn't mean jack. I'll take relative position on the raiser and you can have the button.

Flame away!

Malcom Reynolds
09-16-2004, 02:42 PM
I like a few more coldcallers between me and the pf raiser before I feel comfortable cold calling with 22. I don't think a potentially 3-way pot will generate enough money if you do hit the set.

TripleH68
09-16-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any pocket pair is not awesome against a raise and a single coldcaller in a PStars 3/6 game. You're not going to make enough times your preflop investment after the flop to make the coldcall +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the meat here. The pre-flop call felt wrong. Once I got away from the results... I imagined hitting the set here and only getting a call-down from one player. It was an ugly thought. In a tighter game I likely should muck 22 and look away, yes?

Homer
09-16-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the meat here. The pre-flop call felt wrong. Once I got away from the results... I imagined hitting the set here and only getting a call-down from one player. It was an ugly thought. In a tighter game I likely should muck 22 and look away, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Most of the time you're not going to make 15x you preflop investment, as you did in this case.

You want to make an average of 10-11x your preflop investment (1 BB) for the call to be correct (7.5:1 against hitting set, plus some protection for the times you hit and lose). In this case, you had 3 opponents preflop, so you needed to make an average of 7 or 8 BB more postflop. This will almost never happen against three opponents, unless one is a maniac.

-- Homer

Garland
09-16-2004, 02:56 PM
While I now realize that this is PokerStars, and the 22 cold-call is questionable, do you have to hit a set to win the pot? I've seen some weird stuff at PokerStars like 6 players paying 2 bets to see the flop, me betting with A-high on a ragged flop on the button and everyone folding. I'm wondering why hero is playing at PokerStars in the first place. Tightest...players...ever.

Garland

TripleH68
09-16-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering why hero is playing at PokerStars in the first place. Tightest...players...ever.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

Garland,

I have been playing online since late winter. PS is the only place I have tried. It is usually pretty tight. Anyone care to rank the most active sites...or has this been done already? Tx, TripleH.

Piiop
09-16-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing online since late winter. PS is the only place I have tried. It is usually pretty tight. Anyone care to rank the most active sites...or has this been done already? Tx, TripleH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try searching the Internet Gambling Forum. Someone usually asks this question twice a week.

Garland
09-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi TripleH68,

Although I've never played at Party $3/$6, due to the sheer volume of posts on 2+2, you'd have to think that's the site of choice. I've played $3/$6 and $5/$10 at Absolute. It has its ups and downs nowadays, and the bonuses were better in the past. I've made a small bundle there and have been pretty loyal. I don't know much about other sites, but I've never (rarely) seen a post here involving UltimatePoker, Poker Room or any other sites, so I'm guessing Party would be a good jump.

Garland

sthief09
09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I hate this cold-call.

lil'
09-16-2004, 04:18 PM
I generally look for around 5:1 odds pre-flop (or expect 5:1) when I come in with a little pair. There's usually enough implied odds there to make it worthwhile.

With worse odds than that, you won't hit a set often enough to make it worthwhile, and your pair has almost zero chance of winning unimproved against multiple opponents..