PDA

View Full Version : Common scenario #4, overcards

ChicagoTroy
09-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Don't know how to play these shorthanded in small pots:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Dov
09-16-2004, 01:41 PM
IMO, the turn is raise or fold.

If you raise and he keeps coming, fold unless you have a good read.

chio
09-16-2004, 02:47 PM
if you want to play on, you must bet the flop instead of check-calling, this is basic poker

i would
fold the flop
fold the turn

the main reason being
the pot is too small

MisterKing
09-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Very simple. Flop and turn its the same deal.

IF you think you're either ahead
OR behind and capable of drawing to the best hand AND have the odds to call, THEN

BET!

Check/calling is weak and gives you zero equity on each street. If you bet, your opponent(s) might fold and let you take it right there. Of course, if you have legit fear of a raise, then don't do this too often, but looks to me like you need not worry about that in these hands.

My line on this hand is check, bet, bet, check/fold.

ChicagoTroy
09-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Excellent. Obviously this scenario comes up a lot, and I've tried different tacks.

Nate tha' Great
09-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Either bet or check-fold the flop. This falls into the category of draws that are too weak to call with but might be strong enough to bet with. In this particular spot, I would probably check-fold because the board is somewhat draw heavy, making it less likely that somebody will fold immediately, which is really what you want. If I had the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif instead of the other way around, then I might bet.

tripdad
09-16-2004, 05:28 PM
in and of themselves, overcards are just weak draws. if you have something to go along with them, such as gutshot straight along with a backdoor flush, they can be fairly playable.

the major problem with this particular hand is that if you hit a T, it may make a straight for someone else. also, the pot is so small. this is an easy check/fold for me. the size of the pot is very important when chasing, and it is also rarely correct to ever "call" with a weak draw. betting and raising has much more likelyhood of winning.

cheers!