PDA

View Full Version : Final 2 - Slightly Ahead

RacersEdge
09-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Final table - the turning point hand. Only have been playing tournaments for a few days. This is the 2nd time I have made it to the final 2 players, and not really sure where to be on the aggressiveness scale. In this hand, I figured the opponent - who seems fairly rational, would hang around with 2nd highest pair - or even third high, so basically slow played it. It almost work - but what are the opinions on the play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed)

BB (t3452)
RacersEdge (t4548)

Preflop: RacersEdge is Button with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
RacersEdge calls t200, BB checks.

Flop: (t800) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t1000</font>, RacersEdge calls t1000.

Turn: (t2800) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, RacersEdge checks.

River: (t2800) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t402</font>, RacersEdge calls t402.

Final Pot: t3604

Results in white text:

<font color="white"> BB had 9h 2c for the FLUSH!</font>

housenuts
09-16-2004, 02:02 PM
i would bet that on the turn as well, but definitely check on the river when the 4th club was out.

kleraudio
09-16-2004, 05:59 PM
I would have raised on the flop. since you didnt, id definitely move in after his check on the turn. outcome would have been the same though, he had a 9 too, he probably would have called you if you pushed on the flop or turn. but i believe that would have been the correct play here.

Just my opinion /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Jim

SmileyEH
09-16-2004, 06:05 PM
I would move in preflop.

-SmileyEH

RacersEdge
09-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The real question to me is being up 4500-3500 - or just being the chip leader, what is the mindset?

A) Going all in PF since taking the blind is great. The leverage is there since you have more chips.

B) Take a decent hand and go for more - like 2 BBs since worst case you are still have chips left worst case. Although here being down to 1000 chips with these blinds would be pretty bad.

ChrisV
09-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Move in preflop, unless you think your opponent is getting suspicious of your steals.

Having failed to move in preflop, moving in on the flop is absolutely mandatory.

Here's the secret of heads up at the end. There isn't really much edge to be had or much finesse to employ. The blinds are so large and the matchups so even that you have to slam your stack in whenever it is even close to reasonable. Against AK here you are still 40% to win. This means if the stacks are even, he wins 20% of the chips on average, that is, 1000 chips. A couple of steals more than pays for that.

EDIT: Correction, 20% of the chips is 1600 chips, which you need 3 steals to pay for. The point stands - he isn't going to get a hand he can call with 1 in 3 times.

On the flop, that pot is massive. 1800 chips is almost a quarter of chips in play. There are no other considerations here: you likely have the best hand and that pot is yours. Move in immediately.